Highlights: Pilot Doug Cairns talks about his round-the-world trip with type 1 diabetes; what you need to know about diabetes rights and discrimination in the workplace; and great breakfast ideas with Chef Michel Nischan and registered dietician Martha McKittrick.
Special Guests: dLife Founder Howard Steinberg; Doug Cairns, pilot and author of Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes; attorney and ADA advocacy volunteer John Griffin; Chef Michel Nischan; and Martha McKittrick, RD, CDE.
Quotable: "You are a diabetic, and you a pilot." Douglas Cairns, quoting the Royal Air Force doctor who diagnosed him when he was a jet instructor in the RAF.
dLifeTV Web Extras:
- Read an excerpt from Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes by Douglas Cairns .
- Learn more about diabetes in the workplace.
- Visit the American Diabetes Association's advocacy resources.
- Get Chef Michel Nischan's Omelet Recipe.
- Meet Chef Michel Nischan.
- Find other delicious breakfast ideas in the dLife Recipe Box.
- Watch video clips from this show.
- Read the transcript from this show. (PDF)
- Buy this show on VHS or DVD.
- Meet the hosts.
- Talk about this dLifeTV episode in the dLife Community Forum.
Shrimp Fettuccine Italian-Style Dressing Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad Homemade Pie Crust Mashed Celery Root and Potatoes Chicken a la King Fruit Kabobs Buttermilk Ranch Salad Dressing Sauerkraut Salad Tofu and Baby Spinach
As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the benefits that made it cost-effective for me to go with the real healthcare (HSA) plan rather than the phony (HRA) plan is that my company is now covering "preventative" medicines at $0 copay. The formulary for these, as stated by CVS/Caremark (my pharmacy benefits provider), covers all test strips, lancets, and control solutions. I dutifully get my doctor to write up prescriptions for all of my testing needs, submit...