Highlights: Pilot Doug Cairns talks about his round-the-world trip with type 1 diabetes; what you need to know about diabetes rights and discrimination in the workplace; and great breakfast ideas with Chef Michel Nischan and registered dietician Martha McKittrick.
Special Guests: dLife Founder Howard Steinberg; Doug Cairns, pilot and author of Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes; attorney and ADA advocacy volunteer John Griffin; Chef Michel Nischan; and Martha McKittrick, RD, CDE.
Quotable: "You are a diabetic, and you a pilot." Douglas Cairns, quoting the Royal Air Force doctor who diagnosed him when he was a jet instructor in the RAF.
dLifeTV Web Extras:
- Read an excerpt from Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes by Douglas Cairns .
- Learn more about diabetes in the workplace.
- Visit the American Diabetes Association's advocacy resources.
- Get Chef Michel Nischan's Omelet Recipe.
- Meet Chef Michel Nischan.
- Find other delicious breakfast ideas in the dLife Recipe Box.
- Watch video clips from this show.
- Read the transcript from this show. (PDF)
- Buy this show on VHS or DVD.
- Meet the hosts.
- Talk about this dLifeTV episode in the dLife Community Forum.
Mushroom Soup with Leeks and Garlic Thai Fruit Salad Southwestern Chicken and Bean Soup Chicken Stew with Okra Roasted Garlic Omelet Meatball Pitas Grilled Beet Puree Apple Butterscotch Squares Chicken Diane Southwest Roasted Green Beans
Most of the time, we bash the lastest news about a "diabetes cure" because it is neither a cure, nor often even a significant improvement in diabetes treatment. Usually these "cures" are tested in mice, but fail to make the leap over to human physiology. Devices may work in the lab, but take decades to pass through FDA review, and still not be much better than what we already have. It's enough to make us all jaded. I know I am. But I saw something...