Highlights: Pilot Doug Cairns talks about his round-the-world trip with type 1 diabetes; what you need to know about diabetes rights and discrimination in the workplace; and great breakfast ideas with Chef Michel Nischan and registered dietician Martha McKittrick.
Special Guests: dLife Founder Howard Steinberg; Doug Cairns, pilot and author of Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes; attorney and ADA advocacy volunteer John Griffin; Chef Michel Nischan; and Martha McKittrick, RD, CDE.
Quotable: "You are a diabetic, and you a pilot." Douglas Cairns, quoting the Royal Air Force doctor who diagnosed him when he was a jet instructor in the RAF.
dLifeTV Web Extras:
- Read an excerpt from Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes by Douglas Cairns .
- Learn more about diabetes in the workplace.
- Visit the American Diabetes Association's advocacy resources.
- Get Chef Michel Nischan's Omelet Recipe.
- Meet Chef Michel Nischan.
- Find other delicious breakfast ideas in the dLife Recipe Box.
- Watch video clips from this show.
- Read the transcript from this show. (PDF)
- Buy this show on VHS or DVD.
- Meet the hosts.
- Talk about this dLifeTV episode in the dLife Community Forum.
Orange Banana Frosty Sauteed "Fried" Green Tomatoes Salmon Loaf Chocolate Caramel Bars Fennel Saffron Fish Stew Zsweet Chocolate Cake Mexican Breakfast Casserole Beet and Potato Salad Chicken and Broccoli Quiche Fettuccine with Salmon Sauce
As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the benefits that made it cost-effective for me to go with the real healthcare (HSA) plan rather than the phony (HRA) plan is that my company is now covering "preventative" medicines at $0 copay. The formulary for these, as stated by CVS/Caremark (my pharmacy benefits provider), covers all test strips, lancets, and control solutions. I dutifully get my doctor to write up prescriptions for all of my testing needs, submit...