Highlights: Pilot Doug Cairns talks about his round-the-world trip with type 1 diabetes; what you need to know about diabetes rights and discrimination in the workplace; and great breakfast ideas with Chef Michel Nischan and registered dietician Martha McKittrick.
Special Guests: dLife Founder Howard Steinberg; Doug Cairns, pilot and author of Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes; attorney and ADA advocacy volunteer John Griffin; Chef Michel Nischan; and Martha McKittrick, RD, CDE.
Quotable: "You are a diabetic, and you a pilot." Douglas Cairns, quoting the Royal Air Force doctor who diagnosed him when he was a jet instructor in the RAF.
dLifeTV Web Extras:
- Read an excerpt from Dare to Dream: Flying Solo With Diabetes by Douglas Cairns .
- Learn more about diabetes in the workplace.
- Visit the American Diabetes Association's advocacy resources.
- Get Chef Michel Nischan's Omelet Recipe.
- Meet Chef Michel Nischan.
- Find other delicious breakfast ideas in the dLife Recipe Box.
- Watch video clips from this show.
- Read the transcript from this show. (PDF)
- Buy this show on VHS or DVD.
- Meet the hosts.
- Talk about this dLifeTV episode in the dLife Community Forum.
Coffee Toffee Brownies Grilled Halibut over Corn and Asparagus Rocky Mountain Grill Pomegranate and Apple Cider Chicken Drumsticks with Homemade Horseradish Sauce Beef and Barley Burgers Tomatillo Guacamole Curry Dip Chocolate Almond Cheesecake Avocado Chicken Soup
When the Dexcom monitor flashed a warning that it was time to order a new transmitter, I figured I’d at least have a couple of weeks before it went kaput. So we numbed the back of Charlie’s arm for about 40 minutes, slapped the sensor on him and waited two hours for the warm-up period. And waited. And … waited. Unlike the signal spottiness we experienced occasionally when we were using the Medtronic CGM, the Dexcom...