Tips for Newly Diagnosed
It's important to take control of your diabetes as soon as you're diagnosed, and that begins with early detection. Symptoms of both type 1 and type 2 may include:
• Increased thirst and frequent urination
• Extreme hunger
• Fatigue, or a feeling of being "run down" and tired
• Blurred vision
• Dry, itchy skin
• Tingling or burning pain in the feet, legs, hands, or other body parts
• High blood pressure
• Mood swings or depression
• Frequent infections, such as urinary tract infections, yeast infections, and skin infections
• Slow healing of cuts and bruises
While these symptoms can occur very rapidly in individuals with type 1, they tend to develop over time or not at all individuals with type 2.
Reviewed by Joy Pape, RN, BSN, CDE, WOCN, CFNC. 8/13
Berry Polenta Cake Granola Bread Apple Cartwheels Double Rice, Vegetables, and Bean Salad Porcini Mushroom Risotto Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins Beet Salad Pizza Meat Loaf Pimiento Cheese Spread 3-Color Vegetable Casserole
There are many things to be said about the American holiday of Thanksgiving. While much of the "legend" of the holiday is probably propaganda (Were the Pilgrims and Indians as close as we'd like them to be? Would a harvest celebration in New England really be this late in the year, when there would have likely already been snow? And what about the turkey, which has changed so much from the bird Ben Franklin touted for our national emblem?), there is something to be said for...