Managing Diabetes, Insurance, and Appeals
The cost of diabetes, insurance coverage, and overall management care is rising every year, and paying for supplies can really take a toll on your wallet. Sometimes just having health insurance isn't enough to cover maintenance costs. With the cost of health insurance rising every day, devices and treatment methods are becoming more expensive and diabetes insurance denials more common. But we have some tips to help you appeal denials and get the most out of your health insurance buck.
Before You Apply For Approval:
- Prior to applying for additional supplies, devices, or treatments, read through your insurance policy and check for any clauses about "pre-existing conditions," chronic illness care, "durable medical equipment" and "maintenance drugs."
- Talk with your human resources representative at your company for guidance on how to apply for approval.
- Contact your health insurance company and confirm the correct procedure for applying for coverage. Be sure to send your request in writing to the correct person or department.
If You Are Denied:
- Call your health insurer and find out why your claim was denied. Take note of the date you called, the representative's name, and their comments.
- If your denial letter gives vague reasons for denial, ask for further specifics in writing.
- Ask for a copy of your health insurance company's Evidence of Coverage or Certificate of Coverage, which will outline the full benefits of your insurance plan.
Butterscotch Chip Cookies Salmon with Wilted Greens Asian Peanut Chicken Soup Delectable Fruit Dip Curry Tuna Salad and Pineapple Lemon Cake Marinated Beef for Fajitas Ginger Steak Stir-Fry Monkey Bread Oat Smoothie
I was in Dunkin' Donuts this morning. The one in Pawtucket, Rhode Island on Broadway actually offers some gluten-free selections and I was craving a breakfast sandwich. Waiting in line, I overheard two men at the counter - clearly regulars who sit for hours and shoot the sh*t over morning coffee and donuts. "I gotta be cay-ful too many donuts no good, I got tha shuuu-gah." "I didn't know you had the shu-gah. All the crap you eat,...