How to Eat Right with Diabetes
By Theresa Garnero
There are four specific diet behaviors that have the most influence on improving glucose control:
1. Being consistent with a meal plan;
2. Treating hypoglycemia appropriately;
3. Responding to hyperglycemia (more insulin and/or less food); and
4. Being consistent with an evening snack, if prescribed.
The payoff? By following a meal plan most of the time, you can see a 1% to 2% decline in A1C, a 15 to 25 mg drop in LDL (the "lousy" or bad cholesterol), a decrease in blood pressure, and a 1- to 2-pound weight loss per week. Easier said than done, especially with temptation around every corner. Now you can pull out that healthy eating key for defense.
Have you seen a dietitian recently to help tailor make a meal plan? Depending on your needs, any of the following could be recommended: regulating carbohydrates, reducing saturated fat and/or overall calories, or increasing fiber.
Visit these resources for key information on healthy eating habits:
Food and Nutrition for People with Diabetes
- The Basics of Healthy Eating
- Carbohydrate Counting
- What Do I Eat?
- Everyday Eating with Lara Rondinelli
- Grocery Shopping Tips
- Reading Labels
- Low Carb Recipes
- 12 Best Snacks
- Budget Foods
- d-Friendly Snacks
- Go Out to Dinner...At Home!
- Cheap Eats
- 7 Days of Breakfast
- Low Carb Lunches
- Supper Menus
Dietary Fat and Fat Control
- The Skinny on Fats
- Butter, Margarine, and Spreads – the Skinny on Fat
- Lower Cholesterol
- What if Saturated Fat is Not the Problem?
- The 10 Best Cooking Oils for People with Diabetes
- Healthy, Low-Fat Diet? Maybe Not
Getting Past Roadblocks to Healthy Eating
Harvest Cabbage Curried Flounder Tuna Alfredo Pasta Sopa Aguacate Smoked Cod Chowder 3 Bean Salad Apple-Spinach Salad Pepper-Crusted Tenderloin with Horseradish Sauce Slow-Cooked Beef and Chipotle Burritos Chocolate Cream (Dairy)
10. I mostly just like the sauce and the cheese. Pizza crust just doesn't do it for me. Unless it's loaded with buttery soft goodness and crunchy outside. 9. It makes my bloodsugar high for days. 8. Nobody makes pizza like my grandmother used to and it's always kind of a disappointment. She made the best pizza. It was a perfect balance of sauce and cheese and toppings and the crust was insanely good. Every time I eat pizza I end up thinking "not like...