How to Eat Right with Diabetes
By Theresa Garnero
There are four specific diet behaviors that have the most influence on improving glucose control:
1. Being consistent with a meal plan;
2. Treating hypoglycemia appropriately;
3. Responding to hyperglycemia (more insulin and/or less food); and
4. Being consistent with an evening snack, if prescribed.
The payoff? By following a meal plan most of the time, you can see a 1% to 2% decline in A1C, a 15 to 25 mg drop in LDL (the "lousy" or bad cholesterol), a decrease in blood pressure, and a 1- to 2-pound weight loss per week. Easier said than done, especially with temptation around every corner. Now you can pull out that healthy eating key for defense.
Have you seen a dietitian recently to help tailor make a meal plan? Depending on your needs, any of the following could be recommended: regulating carbohydrates, reducing saturated fat and/or overall calories, or increasing fiber.
Visit these resources for key information on healthy eating habits:
Food and Nutrition for People with Diabetes
- The Basics of Healthy Eating
- Carbohydrate Counting
- What Do I Eat?
- Everyday Eating with Lara Rondinelli
- Grocery Shopping Tips
- Reading Labels
- Low Carb Recipes
- 12 Best Snacks
- Budget Foods
- d-Friendly Snacks
- Go Out to Dinner...At Home!
- Cheap Eats
- 7 Days of Breakfast
- Low Carb Lunches
- Supper Menus
Dietary Fat and Fat Control
- The Skinny on Fats
- Butter, Margarine, and Spreads – the Skinny on Fat
- Lower Cholesterol
- What if Saturated Fat is Not the Problem?
- The 10 Best Cooking Oils for People with Diabetes
- Healthy, Low-Fat Diet? Maybe Not
Getting Past Roadblocks to Healthy Eating
Herb-Bran Muffins Goat Cheese Salad Baby Spinach & Beet Salad Low-fat Mini Pizza Bagels Steamed Lemon Grass Shrimp Cheese and Nut Log Baked Green Tomatoes Beefsteak Tomato Caprese NoOodle (Gluten Free) Peach Bread Pudding Berry Biscotti
3 ring binder per class. Check! Loose leaf paper. Check! Colored pencils. Check! Sticky notes (various sizes). Check! 3 jumbo book covers. Check! Glue sticks. Check! Dry erase markers and eraser. Check! Packs of dividers (5). Check! Texas Instruments 30 IIS calculator. Check! Flash...