I have three dogs, my "girls," who are just bundles of twenty-five-to-sixty-five pounds of energetic joy. They help me deal with the stress of everyday diabetic living. My affections are not just limited to my own dogs; I am on good terms with most of my canine neighbors, as well as the dogs that reside around the construction projects that I supervise in my job.
Here are some other reasons why I prefer dogs are over people:
- Dogs don't drive, thus they can't blow the horn behind you while you are attempting to turn against oncoming traffic.
- Dogs don't borrow tools and then fail to return them.
- Dogs don't ask to borrow money.
- Dogs don't make fun of you, make insensitive remarks, or say stupid things about your diabetes.
- Dogs are forgiving and accept you for who you are, despite your diabetes.
- Dogs would never offer you a forbidden treat because they'd gobble it up first.
But be warned; despite their innocent looks and demeanor, dogs do have a sneaky ulterior motive. They will steal your heart.
dLife's Viewpoints columnists are not all medical experts, but everyday people living with diabetes and sharing their personal experiences, most often at a set point in time. While their method of diabetes management may work for them, everyone is different. Please consult with your diabetes care team before acting on anything you read here to find out what will work best for you.
No-knead Sandwich Bread Beets Dijon Baked Salmon with Sour Cream Herbed Custard Brulee Grilled Flank Steak Grilled Shrimp Over Greens Brown Rice Pilaf Sliced Mushroom Pinwheels Sauteed Liver with Lemon Thyme Cauliflower and Leek Soup
As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the benefits that made it cost-effective for me to go with the real healthcare (HSA) plan rather than the phony (HRA) plan is that my company is now covering "preventative" medicines at $0 copay. The formulary for these, as stated by CVS/Caremark (my pharmacy benefits provider), covers all test strips, lancets, and control solutions. I dutifully get my doctor to write up prescriptions for all of my testing needs, submit...