I have three dogs, my "girls," who are just bundles of twenty-five-to-sixty-five pounds of energetic joy. They help me deal with the stress of everyday diabetic living. My affections are not just limited to my own dogs; I am on good terms with most of my canine neighbors, as well as the dogs that reside around the construction projects that I supervise in my job.
Here are some other reasons why I prefer dogs are over people:
- Dogs don't drive, thus they can't blow the horn behind you while you are attempting to turn against oncoming traffic.
- Dogs don't borrow tools and then fail to return them.
- Dogs don't ask to borrow money.
- Dogs don't make fun of you, make insensitive remarks, or say stupid things about your diabetes.
- Dogs are forgiving and accept you for who you are, despite your diabetes.
- Dogs would never offer you a forbidden treat because they'd gobble it up first.
But be warned; despite their innocent looks and demeanor, dogs do have a sneaky ulterior motive. They will steal your heart.
dLife's Viewpoints columnists are not all medical experts, but everyday people living with diabetes and sharing their personal experiences, most often at a set point in time. While their method of diabetes management may work for them, everyone is different. Please consult with your diabetes care team before acting on anything you read here to find out what will work best for you.
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Beef Burritos Fried Tomatoes Corn & Black Bean Salad Pretzel Shapes Low Fat Ranch Dip Sweet Red Pepper Soup Home on the Range: Buffaloaf Pumpkin Bread with Pineapple Spread Non-Brownie Pie
June 5, 2016. Our Tour de Cure (New Jersey — Skylands) was nearly rained out. Rain, with periods of thunderstorms, was predicted all day. At the eleventh hour (almost literally! the email was timestamped 21:25 the evening before), the tour organizer notified us that the 100-mile route was being cancelled, but that riders could choose to ride the 66-mile course (or one of the shorter courses) instead. Just before midnight, the decision was made to have a rolling start for the...