Total: 29.1 million children and adults have diabetes (9.3% of the population)
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People Under 20 Years of Age
- About 208,000 people less than 20 years of age have diabetes. This represents 0.25% of all people in this age group.
- Non-Hispanic white youth have the highest rate of new cases of type 1 diabetes.
- Clinic-based reports and regional studies indicate that type 2 diabetes is becoming more common among Native American/American Indians, African Americans, Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics and Latinos.
- During 2008-2009, 18,436 youth were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and 5,089 youth were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, annually.
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People 20 Years or Older
- Age 20 Years or Older: 28.9 million. 12.3% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Age 65 Years or Older: 11.2 million. 25.9% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Men: 15.5 million. 13.6% of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- Women: 13.4 million. 11.2% of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- New Cases: Close to 1.7 million individuals aged 20 years or older were diagnosed with diabetes in 2012.
Prevalence of Diabetes by Race/Ethnicity Among People 20 Years or Older
After adjusting for population differences, the 2010-2012 national survey data for people diagnosed with diabetes included the following prevalence:
- Non-Hispanic Whites: 7.6%
- Asian Americans: 9.0%
- Non-Hispanic blacks: 13.2%
- Hispanics: 12.8%
Among Hispanics rates were:
Reviewed by Janis Roszler, MSFT, RD, CDE, LD/N. (5/13)
Manhattan Fish Chowder Sugar Free Sliders Peanut-Butter Cookies Cream of Artichoke and Mushroom Soup Mediterranean Salad with Bread sticks Split Pea Soup With Barley Homemade Chicken Nuggets Yeast Pizza Dough (Gluten Free) Vegetables en Papillote Baked Fruit Compote
Ross and I’s wedding is just nine days away! I am excited, happy-nervous, and stressed all at the same time. Most of the planning is done. I am just wrapping up final details this week like picking up my dress from the alterations shop, printing favor cards, and other odds and ends. It has been a whirlwind, despite a long engagement. I really could not be happier with knowing that in 9 days I will be linked to my best friend and spending the rest of my life with the man of my dreams. ...