Total: 29.1 million children and adults have diabetes (9.3% of the population)
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People Under 20 Years of Age
- About 208,000 people less than 20 years of age have diabetes. This represents 0.25% of all people in this age group.
- Non-Hispanic white youth have the highest rate of new cases of type 1 diabetes.
- Clinic-based reports and regional studies indicate that type 2 diabetes is becoming more common among Native American/American Indians, African Americans, Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics and Latinos.
- During 2008-2009, 18,436 youth were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and 5,089 youth were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, annually.
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People 20 Years or Older
- Age 20 Years or Older: 28.9 million. 12.3% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Age 65 Years or Older: 11.2 million. 25.9% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Men: 15.5 million. 13.6% of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- Women: 13.4 million. 11.2% of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- New Cases: Close to 1.7 million individuals aged 20 years or older were diagnosed with diabetes in 2012.
Prevalence of Diabetes by Race/Ethnicity Among People 20 Years or Older
After adjusting for population differences, the 2010-2012 national survey data for people diagnosed with diabetes included the following prevalence:
- Non-Hispanic Whites: 7.6%
- Asian Americans: 9.0%
- Non-Hispanic blacks: 13.2%
- Hispanics: 12.8%
Among Hispanics rates were:
Reviewed by Janis Roszler, MSFT, RD, CDE, LD/N. (5/13)
Coconut Pudding Squares Tuna Noodle Casserole Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad Grilled Steak Baked Red Potatoes Almond Custard with Floating Islands Artichoke Pie Speedy Chili Loin Chops Champignon Grilled Fiery Chicken and Potato Fingers
Someone at work asked me for a “fun fact” about myself for an upcoming newsletter highlighting recent accomplishments. Having just had an absolutely hellish day and night of high blood sugars, I thought … Fun Fact: My son’s blood sugar was 525 yesterday. Fun Fact: My son’s blood sugar was so high that he couldn’t take part in his hockey team’s end-of-season party. Fun Fact: It took several...