Total: 29.1 million children and adults have diabetes (9.3% of the population)
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People Under 20 Years of Age
- About 208,000 people less than 20 years of age have diabetes. This represents 0.25% of all people in this age group.
- Non-Hispanic white youth have the highest rate of new cases of type 1 diabetes.
- Clinic-based reports and regional studies indicate that type 2 diabetes is becoming more common among Native American/American Indians, African Americans, Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics and Latinos.
- During 2008-2009, 18,436 youth were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and 5,089 youth were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, annually.
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People 20 Years or Older
- Age 20 Years or Older: 28.9 million. 12.3% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Age 65 Years or Older: 11.2 million. 25.9% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Men: 15.5 million. 13.6% of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- Women: 13.4 million. 11.2% of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- New Cases: Close to 1.7 million individuals aged 20 years or older were diagnosed with diabetes in 2012.
Prevalence of Diabetes by Race/Ethnicity Among People 20 Years or Older
After adjusting for population differences, the 2010-2012 national survey data for people diagnosed with diabetes included the following prevalence:
- Non-Hispanic Whites: 7.6%
- Asian Americans: 9.0%
- Non-Hispanic blacks: 13.2%
- Hispanics: 12.8%
Among Hispanics rates were:
Reviewed by Janis Roszler, MSFT, RD, CDE, LD/N. (5/13)
Diabetes Drug Shows Promise in the Treatment of Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis
Two New LDL Cholesterol Drugs May Have Big Impact on Heart Disease
COBA Conference Steers Forward in the Fight Against Childhood Obesity
Google Secures Patent for Glucose-Sensing Contact Lens
Medtronic to Use GlucoSitter Artificial Pancreas Software in Future Insulin Pumps - A Big Deal!
Spinach Walnut Pesto Fennel with Peppers Pepper & Pineapple Pork Stew Veggie Cream Cheese Beef Patties with Mushroom Sauce Sweet Raspberry Sauce Rosemary and Garlic Focaccia Lemon Poppy Muffins Chia Quinoa Salad Crab Imperial
“No!” Charlie said forcefully. “I won’t do it!” Susanne and I stared at each other from the living room with “now what?” looks on our shocked faces. I broke the silence with this: “But Charlie, you said yesterday that you would put the sensor on today.” We waited for his response as if my words were a grenade that we rolled slowly into the kitchen. “No! My arms look terrible. I won’t do...