Total: 29.1 million children and adults have diabetes (9.3% of the population)
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People Under 20 Years of Age
- About 208,000 people less than 20 years of age have diabetes. This represents 0.25% of all people in this age group.
- Non-Hispanic white youth have the highest rate of new cases of type 1 diabetes.
- Clinic-based reports and regional studies indicate that type 2 diabetes is becoming more common among Native American/American Indians, African Americans, Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics and Latinos.
- During 2008-2009, 18,436 youth were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and 5,089 youth were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, annually.
Prevalence of Diabetes Among People 20 Years or Older
- Age 20 Years or Older: 28.9 million. 12.3% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Age 65 Years or Older: 11.2 million. 25.9% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
- Men: 15.5 million. 13.6% of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- Women: 13.4 million. 11.2% of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
- New Cases: Close to 1.7 million individuals aged 20 years or older were diagnosed with diabetes in 2012.
Prevalence of Diabetes by Race/Ethnicity Among People 20 Years or Older
After adjusting for population differences, the 2010-2012 national survey data for people diagnosed with diabetes included the following prevalence:
- Non-Hispanic Whites: 7.6%
- Asian Americans: 9.0%
- Non-Hispanic blacks: 13.2%
- Hispanics: 12.8%
Among Hispanics rates were:
Reviewed by Janis Roszler, MSFT, RD, CDE, LD/N. (5/13)
Spinach & Lentil Soup Baked Salmon with Sour Cream Corn & Black Bean Salad Norwegian Meatballs Vinaigrette Dressing Bacon and Pineapple Appetizers Fruited Pork Chops Sausage and Cajun Style Chicken Rice Antipasto Shish-Ka-Bob Tabbouleh Tossed Salad
So... About that swollen finger. Against my better judgement I skipped going to the doc for the swollen finger. It is my middle finger, by the way, on my right hand. After talking with a friend of mine, I decided to give a home regiment a try. I wasn't in *that* much pain and really, what could it hurt. I knew that if whatever I tried didn't work I'd end up at the doctor's office anyway. Just fitting in that visit - plus going on an antibiotic - which has its whole set...