Severe winter weather can cause poor driving conditions and power outages that can interfere with your regular treatment schedule. Below are tips that you should be familiar with as the winter season kicks into gear:
• Keep your emergency phone numbers at hand. Contact your local clinic for information before contacting a patient disaster hotline such as Fresenius Medical Care's patient disaster hotline at 1-800-626-1297. Disaster hotlines are usually staffed by customer service specialists who can answer questions and direct all dialysis patients and their families to the nearest open clinic during an emergency.
• Talk to your doctor, dialysis care team, and family about a plan in case of an emergency. Know what you should do and where you should go if a disaster strikes, and keep track of local weather forecasts.
• Keep emergency provisions handy, such as bottled water, first-aid kit, flashlight (with extra batteries), blankets, battery-powered radio, cell phone, non-electric can opener, and any needed medications/supplies.
• Arrange for back-up transportation to the clinic with a friend, neighbor, or family member if you are an in-center patient.
• Follow the directions given to you by the home training staff for continuing dialysis in an emergency if you lose power as a home dialysis patient.
• Ask your doctor how to adjust your insulin dosage during winter storm emergencies.
Jalapeno Tartar Sauce Cinnamon-Glazed Carrots Beef Roast With Tomato-Wine Gravy Moroccan Lamb Roast (Gluten Free) Frozen Blueberry Yogurt Pops Ocean Spray® Light and Fruity Cranberry Salad Clam Bisque Juicey Cooler Quick-Fix Guacamole Dip Peanut Custard
June 5, 2016. Our Tour de Cure (New Jersey — Skylands) was nearly rained out. Rain, with periods of thunderstorms, was predicted all day. At the eleventh hour (almost literally! the email was timestamped 21:25 the evening before), the tour organizer notified us that the 100-mile route was being cancelled, but that riders could choose to ride the 66-mile course (or one of the shorter courses) instead. Just before midnight, the decision was made to have a rolling start for the...