Today, security concerns have impeded travel and made it more difficult for the average traveler to get from point A to point B. For a person with diabetes, the necessary tools for diabetes management can present yet one more hurdle in the quest to get to your destination. To help keep things flowing as smoothly as possible, obtain a letter from your doctor and keep it with you at all times.
The following is a sample letter you can personalize for your specific circumstances.
[PRINT ON PHYSICIAN LETTERHEAD]
Subject: [INSERT PATIENT NAME AND ADDRESS HERE]
To Whom It May Concern:
[YOUR NAME] is a patient under my care. He/she has diabetes, and requires that the following drugs and medical supplies be available at all times:
[DELETE ITEMS THAT AREN'T APPLICABLE]
• A blood glucose meter and testing supplies. This includes lancets (small sharps for drawing blood), a lancet finger stick device, and test strips: [INSERT METER & SUPPLY BRAND NAMES HERE]
• Continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS): [INSERT BRAND NAME AND SENSOR INFORMATION]
• Insulin for injection: [INSERT BRAND NAME AND INDICATE DELIVERY SYSTEM]
• Insulin pump: [INSERT BRAND NAME AND INFUSION SET INFORMATION]
• Other injectables requiring vial and syringe or pen device and attachable needle for administration: [INSERT BRAND OR GENERIC NAMES HERE]
• The following oral medications: [INSERT BRAND OR GENERIC NAMES HERE]
• Glucose tablets or gel to treat low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
If you have any questions regarding this patient and his/her medical care and requirements, contact my office at [INSERT PHYSICIAN PHONE NUMBER].
View the PDF version of the travel letter.
Reviewed by Constance Brown-Riggs, MSEd, RD, CDE, CDN 01/14.
Tangy Oven Roasted Salmon Kale Chips with Toasted Nori Tilapia with Fresh Herbs and Lime Fruit Compote Jerk Pork with Nectarine Salsa Cranberry Sweet Potatoes Cheesy Salmon and Dill Dip Spiced Chicken Breasts Mushroom Fettuccine Summer Apple Mint Salad
I have a friend, M, who has diabetes and never, ever tests her bloodsugar before she gets behind the wheel. This has always worried me about her. On Wednesday, she had a bad accident after passing out behind the wheel. She hit another car head on. I thank the universe that no one was killed, but she and the driver of the other vehicle were both badly injured. She's got a long healing road ahead of her, as does the woman she hit. I was talking about the...