Stress can make blood glucose levels skyrocket. Take time for yourself to de-stress and regain control. Some strategies:
• Yoga. Take a yoga class and benefit both your body and mind.
• Progressive relaxation. This self-guided exercise can also be performed with the help of an audiotape. It involves tensing and progressively relaxing different muscle groups to achieve full body relaxation.
• Delegate. Take some unnecessary stress off yourself and farm out time-consuming chores like ironing (to the dry cleaner) and party preparation (to a caterer).
• Choose your battles. Is getting into an argument with your teenager over an unmade bed really worth it? Does it really matter if your spouse forgot to put the recycling out? Only fight those battles that make a difference, and let the minor annoyances pass you by.
• Ignore and avoid. Have an annoying neighbor or a grating co-worker that just puts you on edge every time they walk up? Stay out of their paths and surround yourself with people that support you.
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
Playing off of a #DSMA conversation and Kerri, one of my favorite bloggers at www.sixuntilme.com, I've concocted a job description for diabetes. Wanted Immediately! Extraordinarily patient individual with high pain tolerance, ability to multitask as if their life depends upon it, must be able to keep a stable job with solid health insurance (outside of the work described herein), able to stay up late and get up early, and undeterred by constant shifts in...