Ask Your Doctor
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have been living with diabetes since childhood, having an open dialog with your doctor (or diabetes educator) is an important part of your care. Bring these questions with you on your next visit to get the conversation started—and the information you need.
1. What type of diabetes do I have?
2. Do I have to take insulin or other medications?
3. Are there any side effects from taking insulin or medication?
4. Will I always have to take insulin or medication?
5. Do I have to eat a special diet?
6. What are my blood glucose level goals?
7. How do I check my blood glucose levels at home?
8. Can I still exercise or play sports?
9. What kinds of lifestyle changes do I have to make?
10. Are there any warning signs or symptoms I should look out for?
Living with Diabetes
1. What are my blood glucose level goals?
2. How often should I be checking my blood glucose levels at home?
3. Are there new insulin or insulin delivery methods I should consider?
4. When was my last hemoglobin A1c test and what were the results?
5. When was my last dilated eye exam? What were the results?
6. When was my last lipid profile test? What were the results?
7. Do you detect any problems with my feet?
8. When was the last time I was checked for microalbuminuria (the earliest benchmark for kidney disease)?
9. Should I be concerned about other diabetes complications, such as heart disease or stroke?
10. What can I do to lessen my risks of complications?
Sparkling Kumquat Salad White Bean Salad with Asparagus Sugar-Free Cheesecake Garlic Bean Dip Artichoke Frittata Black Bean Soup-Chili Lime Spritzer Creamy Brown Rice Crab and Olive Spread Fruity Ham Slices
Let me count the ways. Actually I can’t count the ways; there are too many. But let me begin with nasty carbohydrates and how they torture me. I’m considering making “How Do I Hate Thee?” a series of blog posts, exploring the many different things I despise about diabetes. There is so much to hate about diabetes, but this one I place high on my list. Last Wednesday, a friend offered me and...