Ask Your Doctor
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have been living with diabetes since childhood, having an open dialog with your doctor (or diabetes educator) is an important part of your care. Bring these questions with you on your next visit to get the conversation started—and the information you need.
1. What type of diabetes do I have?
2. Do I have to take insulin or other medications?
3. Are there any side effects from taking insulin or medication?
4. Will I always have to take insulin or medication?
5. Do I have to eat a special diet?
6. What are my blood glucose level goals?
7. How do I check my blood glucose levels at home?
8. Can I still exercise or play sports?
9. What kinds of lifestyle changes do I have to make?
10. Are there any warning signs or symptoms I should look out for?
Living with Diabetes
1. What are my blood glucose level goals?
2. How often should I be checking my blood glucose levels at home?
3. Are there new insulin or insulin delivery methods I should consider?
4. When was my last hemoglobin A1c test and what were the results?
5. When was my last dilated eye exam? What were the results?
6. When was my last lipid profile test? What were the results?
7. Do you detect any problems with my feet?
8. When was the last time I was checked for microalbuminuria (the earliest benchmark for kidney disease)?
9. Should I be concerned about other diabetes complications, such as heart disease or stroke?
10. What can I do to lessen my risks of complications?
Vegetarian Chorizo Grilled Chicken with Lemon Crusted Chicken Pot Pie Nectarine Mousse Chicken and Peaches in a Spiced Orange Sauce Ultimate Spinach Dip Sour Cream Alternative Lemon Graham Cracker Pie Roasted Chicken and Dumplings Cinnamon-Spiced Fruit
In junior high school, I'd gotten my hands on one of my father's old English books and read a story by Nathaniel Hawthorne, "The Great Stone Face". The story is based on the natural mountain/rock formation in New Hampshire of the same name (you can see an image of it on New Hampshire state quarters). In the story, there was a legend that the person whose face looked like The Great Stone Face would be "the...