Ask Your Doctor
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or have been living with diabetes since childhood, having an open dialog with your doctor (or diabetes educator) is an important part of your care. Bring these questions with you on your next visit to get the conversation started—and the information you need.
1. What type of diabetes do I have?
2. Do I have to take insulin or other medications?
3. Are there any side effects from taking insulin or medication?
4. Will I always have to take insulin or medication?
5. Do I have to eat a special diet?
6. What are my blood glucose level goals?
7. How do I check my blood glucose levels at home?
8. Can I still exercise or play sports?
9. What kinds of lifestyle changes do I have to make?
10. Are there any warning signs or symptoms I should look out for?
Living with Diabetes
1. What are my blood glucose level goals?
2. How often should I be checking my blood glucose levels at home?
3. Are there new insulin or insulin delivery methods I should consider?
4. When was my last hemoglobin A1c test and what were the results?
5. When was my last dilated eye exam? What were the results?
6. When was my last lipid profile test? What were the results?
7. Do you detect any problems with my feet?
8. When was the last time I was checked for microalbuminuria (the earliest benchmark for kidney disease)?
9. Should I be concerned about other diabetes complications, such as heart disease or stroke?
10. What can I do to lessen my risks of complications?
Parsley-Stuffed Roasted Lamb Raspberry Coconut Bars Pampered Chicken Snowy Vanilla Pecan Crescents Cabbage Soup Tangy Lemon Chicken Charred Honey Mustard Glazed Potatoes Mushroom Stuffed Potato Skins Anchovy Puff Balls Creamed Spinach
So last time we covered “what is an artificial pancreas” and now I will cover where we are today with developing it and when we might be able to get our hands on one. There are several groups working on these devices with varying approaches, but there are 2 fairly significant milestones that have occurred recently. Both of these happened in June 2012 and I will discuss them in this blog post. Medtronic filed the necessary paperwork with the FDA to gain Pre-Market Approval...