| || |
Source: National Turkey Federation
Creamy and smokey chowder with roasted vegetables and plenty of herbs and spices.
|Makes 12 servings |
|Amount Per Serving |
| Calories ||2377.8 |
| Total Carbs ||241.0 g |
| Dietary Fiber ||23.0 g |
| Sugars ||47.1 g |
| Total Fat ||81.6 g |
| Saturated Fat ||33.9 g |
| Unsaturated Fat ||14.3 g |
| Potassium ||3362.6 mg |
| Protein ||155.5 g |
| Sodium ||10556.1 mg |
| Dietary Exchanges |
81.6 Fat, 2.9 Vegetables, 18.2 Meat, 1.5 Other Carbs, 9.4 Starch, 0.1 Lean Meat
|See the Detailed Nutritional Analysis|
|Note: One or more ingredients from this recipe are not included in the nutritional analysis above. Either the ingredient is missing from our database or is listed as "optional" in the recipe. |
|Powered by ESHA |
lb Turkey, drumstick, with skin, smoked 4 1/2
gal cold water 3
each medium celery stalks 3
each fresh carrots, 7" x 1/4" 1
cup minced onion 4
each parsley sprigs 2
tbsp cumin seeds 3
each bay leaf 2
tbsp black peppercorns 3
tbsp salt 5
lb sweet potatoes, cubed 1 1/2
quart minced onion 2
lb Chili Peppers, poblano, dried 5
lb Potatoes, diced, recipe quick, 80% cooked, frozen, FS 3
each roma tomatoes 1
lb Corn, niblets, frozen 10
oz canned black beans 3
cup Salsa, verde, medium 0 3/4
cup Base, turkey, with o add msg, 9501, FS 0 1/4
cup cajun seasoning 2
tbsp hickory liquid smoke 3
cup Sauce, barbecue, low sodium 1
lb Butter, unsalted 0.3333
cup minced garlic 1
quart white all purpose flour 1
cup sour cream 1
- Place turkey drumsticks, water, celery, carrots, onions, parsley, cumin, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt into a large soup kettle and bring to a boil.
- Skim scum from surface, lower heat to a simmer, cover kettle and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain through a china cap reserving both stock and turkey drumsticks, but discarding vegetables and herbs.
- Return stock to kettle.
- Remove turkey meat from drumsticks, discard skin and bones. Chop turkey into 4-inch dice and reserve.
- Bring turkey broth to a boil, add sweet potatoes, onions and poblanos. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Stir in red potatoes, tomatoes, corn, black beans, salsa verde, turkey base, blackened seasonings, liquid smoke and barbecue sauce.
- Stir in reserved turkey.
- Return soup to a simmer.
- In a skillet, melt butter, add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes until softened but not brown. Stir in flour and continue to cook for 3 minutes to make a roux.
- Whisk roux into soup.
- Cook soup over a low heat stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Plating and Service
- Garnish each serving with a swirl of thinned sour cream and sliced scallions.