Congestive Heart Failure Treatment
What Are the Tests and Treatments?
Diagnostic tests for CHF include:
- BNP (B-type Natriuretic Peptide) blood test - measures the level of BNP hormone in your blood; the higher the level the greater the chance of heart failure
- Cardiac catheterization
- Chest x-ray
- Coronary angiography
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
- Exercise stress test (cardiac stress test)
- Holter monitor
- Nuclear heart scan
- Pharmacologic stress test
- Thyroid function tests
There are medications that can be used to treat CHF, such as:
- Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors works on the natural chemicals in the body that are involved in regulating blood pressure, resulting in lower blood pressure
- Beta blockers blocks chemical called noradrenalin, which can widen the arteries and decrease the work of the heart
- Digitalis medicines strengthen the heartbeat
- Diuretics help remove excess fluid and salt from the body
- Nitrates relax and widen the blood vessels in the body, allowing more blood and oxygen to flow to the heart
Surgeries and procedures to treat CHF include:
- Enhanced counterpulsation (ECP)
- Heart valve replacement surgery
- Intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP)iInsertion
- Ventricular assist device placement
- Valvulosplasty (Balloon or Surgical)
- Heart transplant (when all other treatments fail to control symptoms)
Medical devices that may be used are:
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD)
- Balloon Valvuloplasty Catheter
- Enhanced Counterpulsation (ECP) Device
- Intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP)
- Prosthetic Heart Valve
But the treatment a person has the most control over is the same one that can help prevent congestive heart failure in the first place leading a healthy lifestyle:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Control blood pressure.
- Control blood cholesterol.
- Prevent and manage diabetes mellitus.
- Quit or do not start smoking.
- Manage stress.
- Get enough sleep.
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
Beef and Barley Burgers Fruit Compote in Spiced Wine Almond Chicken Salad Lemon Coriander Turkey Mixed Vegetable Grill Pina Colada Granita Classic French Onion Soup Lemon Orange Iced Tea Strawberry - Pretzel Parfaits Japanese Yakitori
I want to start by saying that in our twenties, we sometimes do dumb things. I suppose that's true of any age, but our the twenties seem particularly ripe for it. We're sometimes off on our own for the first time, we often feel oddly invincible (even with a serious chronic), we're not all that street wise. We're you know, in our twenties. Sooooo.... Anyway. In my early twenties, I met a dude who was super nice in the endocrinologist's waiting room and we became instant...