High Blood Pressure Questions
Questions To Ask Your Doctor If You Have High Blood Pressure
1. What is my blood pressure reading in numbers? (Ask your healthcare provider to write it down for you.)
2. What is my goal blood pressure?
3. Is my blood pressure under adequate control?
4. Is my systolic pressure too high (over 140)?
5. What would be a healthy weight for me?
6. Is there a diet to help me lose weight (if I need to) and lower my blood pressure?
7. Is there a recommended healthy eating plan I should follow to help lower my blood pressure (if I don't need to lose weight)?
8. Is it safe for me to start doing regular physical activity?
9. What is the name of my blood pressure medication? Is that the brand name or the generic name?
10. What are the possible side effects of my medication? (Be sure the doctor knows about any allergies you have and any other medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and dietary supplements.)
11. What time of day should I take my blood pressure medicine?
12. Should I take it with food?
13. Are there any foods, beverages or dietary supplements I should avoid when taking this medicine?
14. What should I do if I forget to take my blood pressure medicine at the recommended time? Should I take it as soon as I remember or should I wait until the next dosage is due?
15. How often should I have my blood pressure measured?
16. When is medication expected to have its effect?
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
Sweet Fruit Sprinkle Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs Chocolate Cream (Dairy) Grilled Wasabi Tuna Tropical Tapioca Parfaits Herbed Pork Chops Apple and Almond Soufflé Sweet and Spicy Cornmeal Muffins Four-Alarm Beef Steak Kabobs Orange & Onion Salad
What a weird disease. It’s not enough that unregulated glucose spits like a sprinkler from his liver at all hours of the night making it impossible to get a handle on things. It’s not enough that the same food he eats one day has a completely opposite effect the next. It’s not enough that we’re at the mercy of biological factors we can’t even begin to fathom yet we continue to believe one of these days we’ll finally solve this mother of...