High Blood Pressure Questions
Questions To Ask Your Doctor If You Have High Blood Pressure
1. What is my blood pressure reading in numbers? (Ask your healthcare provider to write it down for you.)
2. What is my goal blood pressure?
3. Is my blood pressure under adequate control?
4. Is my systolic pressure too high (over 140)?
5. What would be a healthy weight for me?
6. Is there a diet to help me lose weight (if I need to) and lower my blood pressure?
7. Is there a recommended healthy eating plan I should follow to help lower my blood pressure (if I don't need to lose weight)?
8. Is it safe for me to start doing regular physical activity?
9. What is the name of my blood pressure medication? Is that the brand name or the generic name?
10. What are the possible side effects of my medication? (Be sure the doctor knows about any allergies you have and any other medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and dietary supplements.)
11. What time of day should I take my blood pressure medicine?
12. Should I take it with food?
13. Are there any foods, beverages or dietary supplements I should avoid when taking this medicine?
14. What should I do if I forget to take my blood pressure medicine at the recommended time? Should I take it as soon as I remember or should I wait until the next dosage is due?
15. How often should I have my blood pressure measured?
16. When is medication expected to have its effect?
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
Tarragon Pork Tenderloins With Grilled Grapes Teriyaki Strips Mango-Papaya Rice Ambrosia Refried Beans Strawberry and Mango Salad Baked Cranberry and Pecan Apples Shredded Pork Caribbean Bean Salad Italian Roasted Vegetables Baked Cream Cheese Dip
As the thoughts of adoption cross my mind, I have a nagging on my heart that reminds me that I am not alone in this. Not alone in a positive way that I have the support of my husband and I'm building a great medical team to help me tackle any fertility challenges that come along. But not alone in that it's not just my emotions and desires that dictate how, when, or if I have children. Yesterday, I was chatting with a volunteer at work. He and his wife have a two year old and we...