High Blood Pressure Questions
Questions To Ask Your Doctor If You Have High Blood Pressure
1. What is my blood pressure reading in numbers? (Ask your healthcare provider to write it down for you.)
2. What is my goal blood pressure?
3. Is my blood pressure under adequate control?
4. Is my systolic pressure too high (over 140)?
5. What would be a healthy weight for me?
6. Is there a diet to help me lose weight (if I need to) and lower my blood pressure?
7. Is there a recommended healthy eating plan I should follow to help lower my blood pressure (if I don't need to lose weight)?
8. Is it safe for me to start doing regular physical activity?
9. What is the name of my blood pressure medication? Is that the brand name or the generic name?
10. What are the possible side effects of my medication? (Be sure the doctor knows about any allergies you have and any other medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and dietary supplements.)
11. What time of day should I take my blood pressure medicine?
12. Should I take it with food?
13. Are there any foods, beverages or dietary supplements I should avoid when taking this medicine?
14. What should I do if I forget to take my blood pressure medicine at the recommended time? Should I take it as soon as I remember or should I wait until the next dosage is due?
15. How often should I have my blood pressure measured?
16. When is medication expected to have its effect?
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
Smashed Potatoes and Greens Warm Taco Pie Lean and Luscious Veal Parmigiana Fruit Salad With Yogurt and Poppy Seeds Mango Yogurt Smoothie Hot Pepper and Lemon Sauce Herbed Marinated Pork Chops Jerk Chicken Kabobs Gazpacho Pizza Spring Vegetable Soup with Matzo Balls
Let me count the ways. Actually I can’t count the ways; there are too many. But let me begin with nasty carbohydrates and how they torture me. I’m considering making “How Do I Hate Thee?” a series of blog posts, exploring the many different things I despise about diabetes. There is so much to hate about diabetes, but this one I place high on my list. Last Wednesday, a friend offered me and...