High Blood Pressure Questions
Questions To Ask Your Doctor If You Have High Blood Pressure
1. What is my blood pressure reading in numbers? (Ask your healthcare provider to write it down for you.)
2. What is my goal blood pressure?
3. Is my blood pressure under adequate control?
4. Is my systolic pressure too high (over 140)?
5. What would be a healthy weight for me?
6. Is there a diet to help me lose weight (if I need to) and lower my blood pressure?
7. Is there a recommended healthy eating plan I should follow to help lower my blood pressure (if I don't need to lose weight)?
8. Is it safe for me to start doing regular physical activity?
9. What is the name of my blood pressure medication? Is that the brand name or the generic name?
10. What are the possible side effects of my medication? (Be sure the doctor knows about any allergies you have and any other medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and dietary supplements.)
11. What time of day should I take my blood pressure medicine?
12. Should I take it with food?
13. Are there any foods, beverages or dietary supplements I should avoid when taking this medicine?
14. What should I do if I forget to take my blood pressure medicine at the recommended time? Should I take it as soon as I remember or should I wait until the next dosage is due?
15. How often should I have my blood pressure measured?
16. When is medication expected to have its effect?
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
No-Bake Black Forest Cheesecake Parfaits Pumpkin Brownies Beef Bourguignon Beef Consomme Beet and Potato Salad Egg Salad and Canadian Bacon Sandwich Cheesy Tortilla Rolls Chai Hot Chocolate Lemon Swiss Chard Banana-Nut Salad
During much of my time, there was no one else around when the kids and counselor were on the ice. It was desolate at times and I wouldn't see another soul for hours. Every day, however, I saw an elderly woman roaming the halls. She looked to be about 119 years old and she wore a faded navy jacket with the word "STAFF" on its back. On some days, she would take a seat near me, stare vacantly into space and playfully dangle her feet off the ground for about five...