High Blood Pressure Questions
Questions To Ask Your Doctor If You Have High Blood Pressure
1. What is my blood pressure reading in numbers? (Ask your healthcare provider to write it down for you.)
2. What is my goal blood pressure?
3. Is my blood pressure under adequate control?
4. Is my systolic pressure too high (over 140)?
5. What would be a healthy weight for me?
6. Is there a diet to help me lose weight (if I need to) and lower my blood pressure?
7. Is there a recommended healthy eating plan I should follow to help lower my blood pressure (if I don't need to lose weight)?
8. Is it safe for me to start doing regular physical activity?
9. What is the name of my blood pressure medication? Is that the brand name or the generic name?
10. What are the possible side effects of my medication? (Be sure the doctor knows about any allergies you have and any other medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and dietary supplements.)
11. What time of day should I take my blood pressure medicine?
12. Should I take it with food?
13. Are there any foods, beverages or dietary supplements I should avoid when taking this medicine?
14. What should I do if I forget to take my blood pressure medicine at the recommended time? Should I take it as soon as I remember or should I wait until the next dosage is due?
15. How often should I have my blood pressure measured?
16. When is medication expected to have its effect?
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
Three Kings Colorful Quesadillas Scrambled Cream Cheese and Herb Eggs Sopa De Albóndigas Split Pea Spread Mini Lobster Rolls Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs Homemade Cinnamon Peach Ice Cream with Pecans Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons Bread Bowl Fondue Dark Fudge Brownies
I have been practicing yoga very regularly now for over a month. I’m working through at least two hot flow classes each week, mostly three or more. My Asanas (yoga positions) are getting stronger and more fluid and my breathing is more focused. More importantly, I am actually starting to notice a difference in my ability to manage stress in my day-to-day life. In a hot Vinyasa Flow Class last week, some of the instructor’s words in establishing intention...