To stay on top of your diabetes management, you should know your ABCs – your A1c level, your blood pressure, and your cholesterol profile.
A – A1c, or hemoglobin A1c test.
- ADA goal is less than 7%, while the AACE goal is 6.5% or less.
B – Blood pressure
- < 130/80 mmHg for non-pregnant adults.
C – Cholesterol
- HDL (good) cholesterol – >40 mg/dl (1.0 mmol/l) in men; >50 mg/dl (1.3 mmol/l) in women
- LDL (bad) cholesterol – <100 mg/dl (<70 mg/dl in highest risk populations)
- Triglycerides – <150 mg/dl
Talk with your diabetes care provider to determine your individual goals for A1c, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
1 - AACE Diabetes Care Guidelines, Endocrine Practice 2-11; 17 (Suppl 2)3.
2 - American Diabetes Association Standards of Medical Care for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus (2011).
3 - National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III (NCEP ATP III).
Reviewed by Jason C. Baker, MD. 01/12
Grilled Tomato Gazpacho Chicken Vegetable Soup Lemon Dill Pollock Oven Roasted Orange-Chile Glazed Turkey Tenderloin Spinach-Ricotta Bake Main Dish Salad Cold Lemon Broccoli Salad Lemon Graham Cracker Pie Pumpkin Cake Cheese-Stuffed Pecans
10. I mostly just like the sauce and the cheese. Pizza crust just doesn't do it for me. Unless it's loaded with buttery soft goodness and crunchy outside. 9. It makes my bloodsugar high for days. 8. Nobody makes pizza like my grandmother used to and it's always kind of a disappointment. She made the best pizza. It was a perfect balance of sauce and cheese and toppings and the crust was insanely good. Every time I eat pizza I end up thinking "not like...