To stay on top of your diabetes management, you should know your ABCs – your A1c level, your blood pressure, and your cholesterol profile.
A – A1c, or hemoglobin A1c test.
- ADA goal is less than 7%, while the AACE goal is 6.5% or less.
B – Blood pressure
- < 130/80 mmHg for non-pregnant adults.
C – Cholesterol
- HDL (good) cholesterol – >40 mg/dl (1.0 mmol/l) in men; >50 mg/dl (1.3 mmol/l) in women
- LDL (bad) cholesterol – <100 mg/dl (<70 mg/dl in highest risk populations)
- Triglycerides – <150 mg/dl
Talk with your diabetes care provider to determine your individual goals for A1c, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
1 - AACE Diabetes Care Guidelines, Endocrine Practice 2-11; 17 (Suppl 2)3.
2 - American Diabetes Association Standards of Medical Care for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus (2011).
3 - National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III (NCEP ATP III).
Reviewed by Jason C. Baker, MD. 01/12
Banana Mini Muffins Chili Rubbed Pork Chops Breakfast Topping Fresh Strawberries with Creamy Lime Custard Roasted Corn Soup Spicy Gingered Green and Red Slaw Soy Nut and Pumpkin Seed Party Mix Creamed Mocha Slush Mashed Sweet Potatoes (Gluten Free) Spiced Pecans