To stay on top of your diabetes management, you should know your ABCs – your A1c level, your blood pressure, and your cholesterol profile.
A – A1c, or hemoglobin A1c test.
- ADA goal is less than 7%, while the AACE goal is 6.5% or less.
B – Blood pressure
- < 130/80 mmHg for non-pregnant adults.
C – Cholesterol
- HDL (good) cholesterol – >40 mg/dl (1.0 mmol/l) in men; >50 mg/dl (1.3 mmol/l) in women
- LDL (bad) cholesterol – <100 mg/dl (<70 mg/dl in highest risk populations)
- Triglycerides – <150 mg/dl
Talk with your diabetes care provider to determine your individual goals for A1c, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
1 - AACE Diabetes Care Guidelines, Endocrine Practice 2-11; 17 (Suppl 2)3.
2 - American Diabetes Association Standards of Medical Care for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus (2011).
3 - National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III (NCEP ATP III).
Reviewed by Jason C. Baker, MD. 01/12
Black Forest Cake Tuna-Cabbage Sandwiches Pickled Salmon Grilled Chicken with Rice and Peas Sardines with Roasted Tomatoes on Focaccia Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits Orange-Spinach Salad Strawberry Spinach Salad Turkey Marsala Berries 'n Cream