dLifeHeaderPortlet is temporarily unavailable.

dLife Daily Tips

Practice makes near perfect at bedtime

Read More
The Question
Tue Sep 17 11:56:14 UTC 2013

Should I be taking potassium citrate and what can I eat?
Asked By: missjane  

Background Info Hide
I am Type 2. Until a few months ago had great A1c's. fasting blood sugar is 175 and if I eat any carbs whatsoever I spike to 300+, even 6 whole grain crackers with Peanut Butter caused a spike. I take 1000- mg metformin 2x day, 100 mg Januvia and lisinopril with hctz. I read that you shouldn't take Pot Citrate with uncontrolled diabetes. I don't know if the diuretic is still appropriate either. I have huge kidney stones and was to have surgery-they cancelled it due to urine ph (5) I have been in severe pain since May and now they decide to give me pot citrate (?) I feel like I can't trust my providers to know what is best for me, particularly with regard to meds. I am so scared to go on insulin and gain weight when I have tried desperately to lose it. Now I am told dark greens, legumes, protein cause the stones- everything that I eat for healthy diabetic diet. I don't know what to eat anymore and I am still having great pain. My doctor shrugs when I ask and offers pain meds.
Diabetes Profile Hide
Expert Answers (1)
2013-10-24 19:13:36.0

Dear missjane,

Thank you for writing dLIfe!

Only you and your doctor can determine if you should take potassium citrate or any other medication. Ideally, it is a decision you make after having all your questions and concerns adequately answered by your doctor.

That’s why it’s so important to seek out a doctor with whom you resonate. If you don’t trust your doctor, you’re less likely to make appointments, less likely to follow his instructions, and less likely to feel comfortable asking questions or pursuing the information you need.

If you feel your doctor “shrugs” when you ask questions, that may be a signal that you may need to look into making a change. Ask friends and colleagues to recommend a good, well-qualified doctor.

Also, your background information suggest you may benefit from a consultation with a registered dietitian – preferably one who is a certified diabetes educator. Click here to find a registered dietitian, certified diabetes educator in your area.

Good luck!

Accreditations: MSEd, RD, CDE, CDN
Sources Show

Community Answers (2)
2013-10-29 15:36:00.0

I have had kidney stones for twenty yrs and became type 2 dialectic 3 yrs ago, which made my kidneys worst and pushed me from stage 3 kidney disease to stage 4. You need a good nephrologist to check for kidney disease, you have to take the potassium citrate to stop kidney formation and you need to see a nutritionist who can help with diet for a diabetic with stones. I had to start insulin a year after becoming diabetic and you need to consider it, get a good endocrinaligist, don't let a md treat your diabetes. I have had pain in my left kidney for the last four yrs and take pain pills to deal with it and had to quit working three years ago. I am on the transplant waitlist now and hope once I get a kidney I can have bad left kidney removed. If you want to avoid this take your meds and see your doctors, be aggressive and proactive in your care!
Answered By: maxchance

Sources Show

2013-10-29 10:10:40.0

Have you looked into 'Alternative' or 'Complementary' Medicine to help with the Kidney stones, or the Diabetes? There is a lot of information out there these days about herbs and supplements that may be able to help with these conditions. I'm not saying to replace your current medical treatment but to assist with it. Maybe your doctor can make some recommendations about natural ways of lowering your blood sugars like Bitter Melon, or Cinnamon. There are holistic doctors who may be able to help without impeding on your current care. Just a thought, best of luck!
Answered By: des624

Sources Show


*** All information contained on dLife.com is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Our Expert Q&A is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional or for professional medical advice related to diabetes or another medical condition. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your medical condition.

dLife Weekly Poll

Do you have all the doctors you need on your diabetes care team?

  • Watch dLifeTV online now!

    Click here for more info