dLifeHeaderPortlet is temporarily unavailable.

dLife Daily Tips

Practice makes near perfect at bedtime

Read More
The Question
Fri Aug 30 14:23:21 UTC 2013

My husband has type 2 diabetes. Diagnosed 2yrs ago. His primary put him on insulin only. Now his BG is always high-230 to 290. What should we do?
Asked By: toady  
Category: Type 2

Background Info Hide
He is 58 and has had numb feet for months. He is starting to loose muscle tone in his legs and arms. I can tell but he can't see it. We have been on a 50 carb diet, but haven't seen to much weight loss yet. I am worried about him. What can I say that will get him to see a different Dr.?
Diabetes Profile Hide
Expert Answers (1)
2013-09-25 20:58:23.0


Thanks for asking dLife. Your husband is fortunate to have a partner who is looking out for him.

Consistently high blood glucose is very serious. It can cause complications. From symptoms, it appears that the high blood glucose might have already caused some nerve damage. It is not too late to seek help. Some of the damage may be reversed, but not all. Your husband’s diabetes treatment plan must be periodically reviewed to determine how best to bring his blood glucose down to a safe level.

These days, it is not uncommon for people to need to find a new doctor. What is the reason for not wishing to better manage his diabetes? A diabetes specialist (endocrinologist) may be more skillful in helping their patients with diabetes.

What to do when the patient refuses to seek proper treatment? If you cannot convince your husband, then find someone who can. Sometimes a patient will listen to a trusted friend, rather than a family member. A priest or rabbi might also help. Do not let any stone go unturned.

Good luck and take care.

Answered By: Liz Quintana
Accreditations: EdD, RD, LD, CDE
Sources Show

Community Answers (0)

*** All information contained on dLife.com is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Our Expert Q&A is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional or for professional medical advice related to diabetes or another medical condition. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your medical condition.

dLife Weekly Poll

Do you have all the doctors you need on your diabetes care team?

  • Watch dLifeTV online now!

    Click here for more info