dLifeHeaderPortlet is temporarily unavailable.

dLife Daily Tips

Practice makes near perfect at bedtime

Read More
The Question
Fri Jan 11 15:24:01 UTC 2013

Will medicare cover the cost of a pump? Who do I see to get my diabetes under control?
Asked By: angelsnow02  
Category: Insulin

Background Info Hide
I am an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. I do not have it under control I just got my medicare and am unsure on what I need to do. I dont even know what my a1c is
Diabetes Profile Hide
Expert Answers (1)
2013-08-07 13:50:32.0

Dear Angelsnow02: Historically, Medicare will pay for pump rental, but only if you meet specific lab criteria (c-peptide <0.5) and three months of Blood Sugar records with insulin doses listed as well. Things are changing, so you will want to contact your Medicare provider. having a knowledgeable endocrinologist (diabetes specialist) and/or a Certified Diabetes Educator in your corner can help. Good luck, and take care.
Answered By: Anne Carroll
Accreditations: RN, CDE
Sources Show

Community Answers (1)
2013-04-10 01:05:55.0

I have been investigating this for myself, and if your doctor agrees that you need a pump for better control Medicare will pay for it. You can find it in the Medicare book or call and they will confirm this. Good Luck. If you can find a good endoctrinologist, that would be the type of specialist you'd need for your diabetes.
Answered By: marilee2

Sources Show


*** All information contained on dLife.com is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Our Expert Q&A is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional or for professional medical advice related to diabetes or another medical condition. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your medical condition.

dLife Weekly Poll

Do you have all the doctors you need on your diabetes care team?

  • Watch dLifeTV online now!

    Click here for more info