dLifeHeaderPortlet is temporarily unavailable.

dLife Daily Tips

Practice makes near perfect at bedtime

Read More
The Question
Mon Jan 07 01:06:36 UTC 2013

Can a foreigner traveling in the US get prescribed with an omnipod or other kind of pumps?
Asked By: kam6972  
Category: Other

Background Info Hide
I expect to pay for all expenses out of pocket, so insurance coverage will not be an issue.
Diabetes Profile Hide
Expert Answers (1)
2014-04-21 06:32:07.0

Yes, most of the companies I spoke with will sell you the pump with a prescription from a doctor in the US and after your receive training on the pump. You may be able to order supplies that will come to a friend or relatives' home who can then ship them to you. You need to make sure the products get shipped properly(especially if they are refilled insulin cartridges). All pump companies have a toll free customer service number so I would suggest calling a few and seeing which pump suits you best!!
Answered By: susan sloane
Accreditations: B.S.,Rph.,C.D.E.,Nutritionist
Sources Show

Community Answers (1)
2013-07-05 21:03:13.0

I am Canadian and travelled to the US to get a prescription for my OMNIPOD. No problem. You need to find a doctor that will agree to examine you, prescribe the Omnipod and be willing to supply you with an area to get the training when your first OMNIPOD is delivered. You will need prescription for the PODS that you need to buy every months, and the insulin. The PODS will have to be ordered from the US. Good luck.
Answered By: cotonmommy

Sources Show


*** All information contained on dLife.com is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Our Expert Q&A is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional or for professional medical advice related to diabetes or another medical condition. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your medical condition.

dLife Weekly Poll

Do you have all the doctors you need on your diabetes care team?

  • Watch dLifeTV online now!

    Click here for more info