Empty Nester Menus (Continued)
Dill Chicken Salad
Water chestnuts and celery add crunch to this chicken salad tossed in mayonnaise-sour cream dressing. Makes 2 servings.
2/3 cup cooked chicken breast, diced (or turkey)
3 oz sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
2/5 cup fresh chopped celery
2/5 cup chopped scallions
1/10 cup mayonnaise
1/10 cup sour cream
1 tsp fresh dill weed, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
pinch white pepper
1. In large bowl, toss chicken, water chestnuts, celery, almonds, and scallions.
2. In small bowl, stir mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, and white pepper until well blended.
3. Add dressing to the chicken mixture and toss. If salad seems too dry, stir in additional mayonnaise.
4. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
Use as filling for tomato, cantaloupe, or avocado, or serve over a bed of fresh salad greens.
Garlic Parmesan Toast
Baked baguette with a garlic spread. Makes 2 servings.
3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 oz 100% whole grain baguette, cut diagonally into 6 thin slices
3/4 oz grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Combine 1/2 cup water, garlic, and oil in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Spread an equal amount of garlic mixture onto 1 side of each bread slice. Place bread on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Dill Chicken Salad
Calories 206.3, Total Carbs 7g, Dietary Fiber 1.1g, Saturated Fat 3g, Potassium 251.3mg, Protein 13.6g, Sodium 108.3mg
Garlic Parmesan Croutons
Calories 88.7, Total Carbs 7.3g, Dietary Fiber 2.1g, Saturated Fat 1.4g, Potassium 0mg, Protein 3g, Sodium 123.8mg
Click here to return to main menu.
| PREVIOUS: Breakfast #5: Wake-up Smoothie and Canadian Bacon Cornbread |
| NEXT: Lunch #2: Pesto Tuna Sandwiches and Apple Salad with French Dressing |
Broccoli, Pepper and Apricot Salad Confetti Vegetable Kugel Roasted Vegetable Dip BBQ Pork Tenders Squash Dinner Rolls Upside-Down Pineapple Cake Asparagus with Orange-Walnut Vinaigrette Trout with Sour Cream/Cucumber Sauce Thai Fruit Salad Ginger Curry Fish Stir Fry
Years before I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, The Other Half came out of a doctor's appointment with a diagnosis of "borderline diabetes" and an ADA exchange diet sheet. His health insurance agency followed up on the diagnosis with a glucometer and test strips. After a year or so of trying to follow the diet plan and test his glucose levels, things appeared to be back in "normal" range, and stood there until a couple of years after my own diagnosis. Shortly...