Diabetes and Eating Disorders (Continued)
Are you currently struggling with an eating disorder?
You may well recognize some of the signs above. The Diabetes Eating Problems Scale–Revised is a self-report questionnaire that allows you to measure your current experiences of eating disorder anxiety. Answer the questions below as they relate to your experience. Rate each question on a 6-point scale:
1. Losing weight is an important goal to me.
2. I skip meals and/or snacks.
3. Other people have told me that my eating is out of control.
4. When I overeat, I don't take enough insulin to cover the food.
5. I eat more when I am alone than when I am with others.
6. I feel that it's difficult to lose weight and control my diabetes at the same time.
7. I avoid checking my blood sugar when I feel like it is out of range.
8. I make myself vomit.
9. I try to keep my blood sugar high so that I will lose weight.
10. I try to eat to the point of spilling ketones in my urine.
11. I feel fat when I take all of my insulin.
12. Other people tell me to take better care of my diabetes.
13. After I overeat, I skip my next insulin dose.
14. I feel that my eating is out of control.
15. I alternate between eating very little and eating huge amounts.
16. I would rather be thin than have good control of my diabetes.
Diabetes Eating Problems Scale-Revised (Markowitz et al., 2010)
A score of 20 or more indicates an eating problem. So what have you discovered? The following sections will help you to understand why you are feeling this way and how to get better.
Rosemary Scented Cornish Hens Almond Stuffed Baked Apples with Caramel Sauce Easy Mexicali Pork Chops Chicken and Ginger Noodle Soup Teriyaki-Glazed Salmon with Peaches Peanut Butter 'N Fruit-Wich Spinach Dip Black Bean Dip Bayside Barley Supper Mango Salad with Citrus Sauce
So, this holiday weekend I traveled. And I realize that when it comes to diabetes, healthy eating, and activity - I don't do so hot on when it comes to traveling. My bloodsugars held steady while getting to my destination - probably because I packed a little snack pack of healthy food and tested before getting on my way, but once I got going - all bets were off. Upon arrival at the hotel, I found very little healthful food within walking distance. Though every menu has a...