Other SGLT-2s in Development
The recent approval of Invokana is exciting, opening the door to a new class of medications that can help people to manage type 2 diabetes, but it was not exactly the only drug on that long road to approval. Take a look at other potential medications that are in various stages of trials and approvals that may join this newest class of oral medications.
Astellas Pharma – Ipragliflozin
- This drug has been filed for marketing approval in Japan and is in the process of completing phase III trials.
- Trials have shown its potential to significantly lower glycated hemoglobin levels (HbA1c) over time as compared to placebo.
Bi/Lilly – Empagliflozin
- This drug is in Phase III of clinical trial process involving over 14,500 patients. There will be a total of 12 clinical trials performed throughout several countries.
- It is said that the companies will present results of the studies at some point in 2013 or 2014.
BMS/AZ – Dapafliglozin (Brand name: Forxiga)
- This SGLT-2 inhibitor is already available in Europe, but the FDA denied its approval in January of 2012 because of concerns regarding a cancer signal.
Chugai (Roche) – Tofogliflozin Hydrate
- According to Chugai Pharma, as of November 2010, this drug is in Phase III of clinical trials.
Lexicon – LX4211
- This drug inhibits both SGLT1 and SGLT2, making it the first of its kind to be introduced in clinical development for diabetes.
- LX4211 will begin Phase III clinical studies in the middle of 2013.
Taisho Pharma – luseogliflozin
- This drug is currently in Phase III of clinical trials.
Reviewed by James A. Bennett 05/13
- • Astellas. AVEO and Astellas announce postive findings from TIVO-1 superiority study of tivozanib in first line advanced RCC., http://www.astellas.com/en/corporate/news/pdf/121003_Eg_1.pdf. (PDF) (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Lexicon Pharmaceuticals. LX4211, http://www.lexgen.com/pipeline/lx4211.html. (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Chugai Pharma USA. Annual report, 2011. http://www.chugai-pharm.co.jp/hc/ss/downloads/eAR2011_12_09.pdf?blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=inline%3Bfilename%3DeAR2011_12_09.pdf&blobwhere=1259656736395&ssbinary=true. (PDF) (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Theheart.org. FDA approves new diabetes drug, canagliflozin, despite CV concerns, http://www.theheart.org/article/1523789.do. (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Drug Discovery & Development Magazine. Lilly, BI submit empagliflozin to FDA, http://www.dddmag.com/news/2013/03/lilly-bi-submit-empagliflozin-fda. (Accessed 4/11/13.)
Avocado Pistachio Spread Orzo with Mixed Fresh Herbs Pork Loin with Vegetables Parsley Omelet Cabbage and Sauerkraut Rolls Hash Brown Loaf with Eggs Tuna Tartare Orange-Lime Sweet Potatoes Vegetable Curry Peanutty Hawaiian Treat