Other SGLT-2s in Development
The recent approval of Invokana is exciting, opening the door to a new class of medications that can help people to manage type 2 diabetes, but it was not exactly the only drug on that long road to approval. Take a look at other potential medications that are in various stages of trials and approvals that may join this newest class of oral medications.
Astellas Pharma – Ipragliflozin
- This drug has been filed for marketing approval in Japan and is in the process of completing phase III trials.
- Trials have shown its potential to significantly lower glycated hemoglobin levels (HbA1c) over time as compared to placebo.
Bi/Lilly – Empagliflozin
- This drug is in Phase III of clinical trial process involving over 14,500 patients. There will be a total of 12 clinical trials performed throughout several countries.
- It is said that the companies will present results of the studies at some point in 2013 or 2014.
BMS/AZ – Dapafliglozin (Brand name: Forxiga)
- This SGLT-2 inhibitor is already available in Europe, but the FDA denied its approval in January of 2012 because of concerns regarding a cancer signal.
Chugai (Roche) – Tofogliflozin Hydrate
- According to Chugai Pharma, as of November 2010, this drug is in Phase III of clinical trials.
Lexicon – LX4211
- This drug inhibits both SGLT1 and SGLT2, making it the first of its kind to be introduced in clinical development for diabetes.
- LX4211 will begin Phase III clinical studies in the middle of 2013.
Taisho Pharma – luseogliflozin
- This drug is currently in Phase III of clinical trials.
Reviewed by James A. Bennett 05/13
- • Astellas. AVEO and Astellas announce postive findings from TIVO-1 superiority study of tivozanib in first line advanced RCC., http://www.astellas.com/en/corporate/news/pdf/121003_Eg_1.pdf. (PDF) (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Lexicon Pharmaceuticals. LX4211, http://www.lexgen.com/pipeline/lx4211.html. (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Chugai Pharma USA. Annual report, 2011. http://www.chugai-pharm.co.jp/hc/ss/downloads/eAR2011_12_09.pdf?blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=inline%3Bfilename%3DeAR2011_12_09.pdf&blobwhere=1259656736395&ssbinary=true. (PDF) (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Theheart.org. FDA approves new diabetes drug, canagliflozin, despite CV concerns, http://www.theheart.org/article/1523789.do. (Accessed 4/11/13.)
- • Drug Discovery & Development Magazine. Lilly, BI submit empagliflozin to FDA, http://www.dddmag.com/news/2013/03/lilly-bi-submit-empagliflozin-fda. (Accessed 4/11/13.)
Garlic and Jalapeno Collard Greens Romaine and Bean Salad Crunchy Orange Carrot Rice Cake Ginger-Orange Carrots and Grapes Juicy Orange Chicken Sweet Potato Chowder Grilled Vegetable Pizzas Spiced Shish Kabobs with Horseradish Cream Black Bean and Corn Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Avocado Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
It’s been awhile. Life has been on overdrive for the past three months and I am so happy to finally say that there is reprieve. I see the light and see so much that God has in store. I’ve been dealing with some significant work stress in addition to normal life stress and have barely been able to stay afloat. In the past three months, I have leaned heavily on Ross and my mom for much needed support to get through a rough time and make some tough decisions. Now it’s ending and new things are...