Gluten-Free, Carb Friendly Menus & Snacks
Eating gluten-free for celiac disease and low-carb for diabetes can be challenging to say the least. Here are some great ideas to make this devilish duo more manageable.
Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Menu Ideas
(30 grams of carbs or less per meal)
• Egg and spinach omelet, 1 slice ham, 1 cup strawberries
• 1/4 cup (dry) buckwheat cereal with 1 tablespoon walnuts
• ½ cup gluten-free vanilla yogurt, 1 cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
• 2 gluten-free waffles, 2 teaspoons sugar-free jelly, 1 slice ham
• Green salad made with chicken breast; ½ cup strawberries; 2 tablespoons toasted almonds, gluten-free salad dressing; 10 gluten-free crackers
• Gluten-free wrap (such as LaTortilla Factory) made with turkey, cheddar cheese, and 2 tablespoons avocado; side salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, and gluten-free dressing
• Tuna or chicken salad made with mayonnaise (gluten-free); 10 Mary Gone Crackers (see next page); 1 small apple
• 1 cup homemade chicken tortilla soup; side salad with gluten-free dressing
• Turkey burger (with lettuce wrap instead of bun); 1 small baked sweet potato with 2 teaspoons trans-fat free margarine; 1 cup green beans with slivered almonds
• Pork tenderloin, 2/3 cup cooked quinoa, 1 cup roasted vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, peppers)
• Citrus Salmon, grilled asparagus, ½ cup brown rice with mushrooms
• 1½ cups turkey chili; large salad with romaine lettuce, veggies, and gluten-free dressing
One in Ten AMI Patients Have Unrecognized Incident Diabetes
Two New LDL Cholesterol Drugs May Have Big Impact on Heart Disease
COBA Conference Steers Forward in the Fight Against Childhood Obesity
Google Secures Patent for Glucose-Sensing Contact Lens
Medtronic to Use GlucoSitter Artificial Pancreas Software in Future Insulin Pumps - A Big Deal!
Italian Spice Blend Roast Beef Rollups Wild Rice with Almonds Chinese Vegetables Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce Lemon and Basil Snap Peas German Potato Salad Black Bean Salad on Red Pepper Strips Herbed Beef Tenderloin Sweet and Sour Bacon Salad Dressing
My diabetes is changing. Until a few years ago, my morning readings were reasonable and within the desired range of under 100 mg/dl. About two years ago, they started slipping upwards into the less-desirable but apparently not-worrisome range of 100-110 mg/dl. Now, this was what was recorded by my Abbott Freestyle Lite meter, which is known to record at the lower end of the home-glucometer variability range, but with my A1c firmly in the high 5s and low 6s, the meter's tendency to...