Ask an Expert FAQs — Your Type 1 Questions Answered
Q: What are the symptoms of type 1 diabetes?
A: The symptoms of type 1 diabetes usually appear suddenly and may progress quickly. The following symptoms warrant a call to the physician or a trip to the emergency room.
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Weight loss despite increased appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Absence of menstruation
Children with type 1 diabetes may also be restless, apathetic, and have trouble functioning at school. In rare cases with extremely high blood sugar a diabetic coma may be the first sign of type 1 diabetes.
The following tests can be used to diagnose diabetes:
- Fasting blood glucose of 126 mg/dL or higher
- Random (nonfasting) blood glucose over 200 mg/dL (this must be confirmed with a fasting test)
- A1C greater than or equal to 6.5
- Insulin test (low or undetectable level of insulin)
- C-peptide test (low or undetectable level of the protein C-peptide, a by-product of insulin production)
Insulin administered by injection or insulin pump, along with meal planning and exercise, is the treatment for type 1 diabetes.
The following links have more information.
– Deborah Greenwood APRN,BC-ADM, MEd, CDE
Didn't find your question? Click here for more expert answers to questions from dLife members.
Reviewed by Jason C. Baker, MD (5/13)
Shrimp Southwestern Pizza Dip Broiled Mushroom Caps Banana Mini Muffins Creamy Cucumber Salad (Dairy Dressing) Healthy Holiday Cranberry Chutney P&J Parfait Potato Skins 3-Color Vegetable Casserole Lima Bean & Sun-Dried Tomato Soup Chinese Baked Meatballs
Most of the time, we bash the lastest news about a "diabetes cure" because it is neither a cure, nor often even a significant improvement in diabetes treatment. Usually these "cures" are tested in mice, but fail to make the leap over to human physiology. Devices may work in the lab, but take decades to pass through FDA review, and still not be much better than what we already have. It's enough to make us all jaded. I know I am. But I saw something...