Ask an Expert FAQs — Your Type 1 Questions Answered
Q: What are the symptoms of type 1 diabetes?
A: The symptoms of type 1 diabetes usually appear suddenly and may progress quickly. The following symptoms warrant a call to the physician or a trip to the emergency room.
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Weight loss despite increased appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Absence of menstruation
Children with type 1 diabetes may also be restless, apathetic, and have trouble functioning at school. In rare cases with extremely high blood sugar a diabetic coma may be the first sign of type 1 diabetes.
The following tests can be used to diagnose diabetes:
- Fasting blood glucose of 126 mg/dL or higher
- Random (nonfasting) blood glucose over 200 mg/dL (this must be confirmed with a fasting test)
- A1C greater than or equal to 6.5
- Insulin test (low or undetectable level of insulin)
- C-peptide test (low or undetectable level of the protein C-peptide, a by-product of insulin production)
Insulin administered by injection or insulin pump, along with meal planning and exercise, is the treatment for type 1 diabetes.
The following links have more information.
– Deborah Greenwood APRN,BC-ADM, MEd, CDE
Didn't find your question? Click here for more expert answers to questions from dLife members.
Reviewed by Jason C. Baker, MD (5/13)
Cold Cucumber Soup Confetti Vegetable Kugel Easy Shrimp and Corn Soup Cabbage and Radicchio Stir Fry Ham and Fruit Salad Sesame Green Beans (Gluten Free) Individual Tiramisu Treats Soup-Up Tomato Soup Cucumber Raita Quick Cinnamon Rolls
Among the things I'd never thought I'd hear when I began my fitness journey ten years ago... "Wow! The work you do really shows. Your arms look great. That's my goal..." From a young woman at the gym whose body I would KILL to have. Petite, small boned, slim arms and legs. You see how that just happened? I gave myself a compliment and then took it back. That's often what I do. I hear the words other people say, but my tendency (as is the tendency of so many people) is...