Choosing a Health Care Facility
- Cost. How much will it cost to stay there? Are there any hidden fees? How much will your insurance cover? Is there an upfront fee? Are services included in the monthly bill? What repercussions will you face for late payments/unpaid bills?
- Food. What kind of food is prepared? Are the meals well-balanced?
- Fellow Residents. Do the current residents seem happy? Bored? Friendly?
- Staff. Is the staff well-trained and friendly?
- Control. Does the facility take charge of all health decisions, including medication administration? Will you be allowed to check your own blood sugar? Will you be required to use their laundry service?
- Miscellaneous. Be sure to consider if other aspects of your loved one’s current daily life will be accommodated. For example, are pets allowed?
If you take your time and shop around, you will be sure to find a facility that will make both you and your loved one happy.
Reviewed by Susan Weiner, RD, MS, CDE, CDN (06/12)
Baked Beans with Chipotle Peppers Sweet Potato and Parsnip Casserole Apple Cabbage Strudels Quinoa Homemade Vegetable Stock Apple Muffins Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream Torte Broccoli Terrine Black Bean and Wild Rice Soup Rosemary and Garlic Chicken
James Joyce said that “mistakes are the portals of discovery.” I wonder if insulin levels have been our mistake. Could it be that this hellish week of blood sugars were somehow meant to be? Drastic times call for drastic measures, right? Maybe we were too afraid in the past to take the plunge into drastic measures. Maybe this is oddly what we needed. We had to be truly frightened in order to make bigger, bolder changes. ...