Choosing a Health Care Facility
- Cost. How much will it cost to stay there? Are there any hidden fees? How much will your insurance cover? Is there an upfront fee? Are services included in the monthly bill? What repercussions will you face for late payments/unpaid bills?
- Food. What kind of food is prepared? Are the meals well-balanced?
- Fellow Residents. Do the current residents seem happy? Bored? Friendly?
- Staff. Is the staff well-trained and friendly?
- Control. Does the facility take charge of all health decisions, including medication administration? Will you be allowed to check your own blood sugar? Will you be required to use their laundry service?
- Miscellaneous. Be sure to consider if other aspects of your loved one’s current daily life will be accommodated. For example, are pets allowed?
If you take your time and shop around, you will be sure to find a facility that will make both you and your loved one happy.
Reviewed by Susan Weiner, RD, MS, CDE, CDN (06/12)
Turkey Rollups Double Rice, Vegetables, and Bean Salad Quick Skillet Meat Loaf Lemon Watercress Swordfish Tofu Salad with Asian Flavors Jicama-Berry Salad Cheesy Chicken Divan Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes With Poppy Seeds Almond Lemon Bars