Choosing a Health Care Facility
- Cost. How much will it cost to stay there? Are there any hidden fees? How much will your insurance cover? Is there an upfront fee? Are services included in the monthly bill? What repercussions will you face for late payments/unpaid bills?
- Food. What kind of food is prepared? Are the meals well-balanced?
- Fellow Residents. Do the current residents seem happy? Bored? Friendly?
- Staff. Is the staff well-trained and friendly?
- Control. Does the facility take charge of all health decisions, including medication administration? Will you be allowed to check your own blood sugar? Will you be required to use their laundry service?
- Miscellaneous. Be sure to consider if other aspects of your loved one’s current daily life will be accommodated. For example, are pets allowed?
If you take your time and shop around, you will be sure to find a facility that will make both you and your loved one happy.
Reviewed by Susan Weiner, RD, MS, CDE, CDN (06/12)
Homemade Vegetable Stock Wheatberry and Mushroom Pilaf Fresh Fruit Dip Kiwi and Tomato Salad Tuna with Oregano and Tarragon Mayo Sauce Red and Green Pilaf Marmalade-Glazed Pork Chops Blueberry Pancakes Lemon Sours Shallot Thyme Vinagrette
Ross and I’s wedding is just nine days away! I am excited, happy-nervous, and stressed all at the same time. Most of the planning is done. I am just wrapping up final details this week like picking up my dress from the alterations shop, printing favor cards, and other odds and ends. It has been a whirlwind, despite a long engagement. I really could not be happier with knowing that in 9 days I will be linked to my best friend and spending the rest of my life with the man of my dreams. ...