I have three dogs, my "girls," who are just bundles of twenty-five-to-sixty-five pounds of energetic joy. They help me deal with the stress of everyday diabetic living. My affections are not just limited to my own dogs; I am on good terms with most of my canine neighbors, as well as the dogs that reside around the construction projects that I supervise in my job.
Here are some other reasons why I prefer dogs are over people:
- Dogs don't drive, thus they can't blow the horn behind you while you are attempting to turn against oncoming traffic.
- Dogs don't borrow tools and then fail to return them.
- Dogs don't ask to borrow money.
- Dogs don't make fun of you, make insensitive remarks, or say stupid things about your diabetes.
- Dogs are forgiving and accept you for who you are, despite your diabetes.
- Dogs would never offer you a forbidden treat because they'd gobble it up first.
But be warned; despite their innocent looks and demeanor, dogs do have a sneaky ulterior motive. They will steal your heart.
dLife's Viewpoints columnists are not all medical experts, but everyday people living with diabetes and sharing their personal experiences, most often at a set point in time. While their method of diabetes management may work for them, everyone is different. Please consult with your diabetes care team before acting on anything you read here to find out what will work best for you.
Carb Free Sweet-and-Sour Sauce Trout with Sour Cream/Cucumber Sauce Pasta Frittata Feta Vinaigrette Peanut Butter Shakes Flank Steak with Cilantro Almond Pesto Tomato and Peach Jus with Shrimp Swiss-Ham Omelet Dijon and Red Wine Vinaigrette Polenta With Parmesan
A big part of Ross and I’s new married life is adjusting to a different set of finances and a different way of managing them. Both of us have lived on our own with full-time jobs for quite a few years, so we’ve become accustomed to a specific way of life. Even during our dating and engagement, we saw the difference in how we manage and spend money. We each have our own things that we like to spend on and save for like splurge Coach purses (me) and hunting gear (him). One of the...