I have three dogs, my "girls," who are just bundles of twenty-five-to-sixty-five pounds of energetic joy. They help me deal with the stress of everyday diabetic living. My affections are not just limited to my own dogs; I am on good terms with most of my canine neighbors, as well as the dogs that reside around the construction projects that I supervise in my job.
Here are some other reasons why I prefer dogs are over people:
- Dogs don't drive, thus they can't blow the horn behind you while you are attempting to turn against oncoming traffic.
- Dogs don't borrow tools and then fail to return them.
- Dogs don't ask to borrow money.
- Dogs don't make fun of you, make insensitive remarks, or say stupid things about your diabetes.
- Dogs are forgiving and accept you for who you are, despite your diabetes.
- Dogs would never offer you a forbidden treat because they'd gobble it up first.
But be warned; despite their innocent looks and demeanor, dogs do have a sneaky ulterior motive. They will steal your heart.
dLife's Viewpoints columnists are not all medical experts, but everyday people living with diabetes and sharing their personal experiences, most often at a set point in time. While their method of diabetes management may work for them, everyone is different. Please consult with your diabetes care team before acting on anything you read here to find out what will work best for you.
Cornish Game Hens Swiss Cheese and Bacon Omelet Melted Blue Cheese and Pear Sandwich Chicken with Kale Stuffing Spicy Winter Squash Soup Southern Crab Cakes Zappachino Jerk Pork Bites Avocado Salad Turkey Stroganoff
Ross and I’s wedding is just nine days away! I am excited, happy-nervous, and stressed all at the same time. Most of the planning is done. I am just wrapping up final details this week like picking up my dress from the alterations shop, printing favor cards, and other odds and ends. It has been a whirlwind, despite a long engagement. I really could not be happier with knowing that in 9 days I will be linked to my best friend and spending the rest of my life with the man of my dreams. ...