I have three dogs, my "girls," who are just bundles of twenty-five-to-sixty-five pounds of energetic joy. They help me deal with the stress of everyday diabetic living. My affections are not just limited to my own dogs; I am on good terms with most of my canine neighbors, as well as the dogs that reside around the construction projects that I supervise in my job.
Here are some other reasons why I prefer dogs are over people:
- Dogs don't drive, thus they can't blow the horn behind you while you are attempting to turn against oncoming traffic.
- Dogs don't borrow tools and then fail to return them.
- Dogs don't ask to borrow money.
- Dogs don't make fun of you, make insensitive remarks, or say stupid things about your diabetes.
- Dogs are forgiving and accept you for who you are, despite your diabetes.
- Dogs would never offer you a forbidden treat because they'd gobble it up first.
But be warned; despite their innocent looks and demeanor, dogs do have a sneaky ulterior motive. They will steal your heart.
dLife's Viewpoints columnists are not all medical experts, but everyday people living with diabetes and sharing their personal experiences, most often at a set point in time. While their method of diabetes management may work for them, everyone is different. Please consult with your diabetes care team before acting on anything you read here to find out what will work best for you.
Apricot Tea Green Bean Mushroom Casserole Warm Toasted Sesame Chicken Salad Cream of Cauliflower Soup Jamaican Pork Stir Fry with Mango Sparkling Kumquat Salad Asian Soup with Shredded Chicken and Rice Mushroom & Fontina Frittata Applesauce Glazed Chicken Garlic and Jalapeno Mashed Potatoes
Someone at work asked me for a “fun fact” about myself for an upcoming newsletter highlighting recent accomplishments. Having just had an absolutely hellish day and night of high blood sugars, I thought … Fun Fact: My son’s blood sugar was 525 yesterday. Fun Fact: My son’s blood sugar was so high that he couldn’t take part in his hockey team’s end-of-season party. Fun Fact: It took several...