Lara's Recipe of the Month:
Fire up the grill and try this low-sodium chicken this month. Although low in sodium it is packed full of flavor from the garlic, basil and balsamic vinegar.
Marinated Grilled Chicken
Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons fresh basil, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1. Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill.
2. In a large bowl, whisk oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, basil and garlic together. Add chicken breasts and coat well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
3. Grill chicken breasts over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
Per serving: 174 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 68mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 5g total carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 25g protein
Copyright © American Diabetes Association from Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. To order this book, please call 1-800-232-6733 or order online at http://store.diabetes.org/.
NOTE: The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional or for professional medical advice related to diabetes or another medical condition. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your medical condition.
- American Diabetes Association. Treatment of Hypertension in Adults with Diabetes. Diabetes Care 26 (Suppl.1): S80-S82. 2003.
- Dickinson et al. Reducing the Population Burden of Cardiovascular Disease by Reducing Sodium Intake. A Report of the Council of Science and Public Health. Arch Intern Med 167(14): 1460-68. 2007.
- Luft et al. Heterogeneous responses to changes in dietary salt intake:the salt-sensitivity paradigm. Amer J Clin Nutr Vol 65, 612S-617S. 1997.
Maple Cookies Cottage Cheese and Lime Gelatin Creamy Salad Dressing Spinach and Sesame Salad Mushroom Bake with Tofu, Garlic, and Soy Sauce Garbanzo Salsa Salmon Sorrento Cheddar n' Ham Muffins Salmon with Watercress Puree Cheese and Veggie Sandwiches
There is a stark difference between my "see ya later" to my camper and other parents' to theirs. "OK, have fun!" one mom told her son. "OK, don't pass out," I say to mine. The mom laughed and said to her son, "I don't want to hear from you until 4:30 pm this time!" Apparently there was a big ordeal with skates that didn't fit the prior day which caused him to miss some of the camp. ...