Having your blood pressure taken
• Don't drink coffee or smoke cigarettes 30 minutes before having your blood pressure measured.
• Before the test, sit for five minutes with your back supported and your feet flat on the ground. Rest your arm on a table at the level of your heart.
• Remove your coat and wear short sleeves so your arm is exposed.
• Go to the bathroom prior to the reading. A full bladder can change your blood pressure reading.
• Get two readings, taken at least two minutes apart, and average the results.
• Ask the doctor or nurse to tell you the blood pressure reading in numbers.
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
Pork Chops Italiano Cucumber and Tomato Salad Raspberry Cheesecake Blueberry Pie Chilled Seafood Salad Perfect Picnic Chicken Salad Light-As-Air Sponge Cake Beef and Cabbage Soup Pocket Fruit Pies Vegetable Lasagna
As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the benefits that made it cost-effective for me to go with the real healthcare (HSA) plan rather than the phony (HRA) plan is that my company is now covering "preventative" medicines at $0 copay. The formulary for these, as stated by CVS/Caremark (my pharmacy benefits provider), covers all test strips, lancets, and control solutions. I dutifully get my doctor to write up prescriptions for all of my testing needs, submit...