Remember yogurt doesn't have to be only for breakfast. Yogurt makes a great snack — and with some toasted almonds added, it can be used to make a dessert. Plain, fat-free yogurt can be added to savory dishes to decrease saturated fat, like in the Greek dish, Souvlaki (see recipe below).
National Dairy Council Digest, Jan/Feb 2005; Volume 76: Number 1.
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 1 stuffed pita
5 whole-wheat pita pockets
1 1/4 pounds boneless pork chops, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 cucumber peeled, seeded and shredded
8 ounces plain fat-free yogurt
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Bamboo skewers, soaked in warm water
1. Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill.
2. Slice one side of each pita to open pocket, but do not cut all the way through. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine pork cubes, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. Marinate in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, mix cucumber, yogurt, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Skewer 6-7 pork cubes on each skewer and grill over medium-high heat for 3 minutes each side.
6. Toast pita bread and fill each pita with 1/2 cup pork and 1/2 cup sauce.
Nutrition Information: 335 Calories, 8g Total Fat, 3 Saturated Fat, 69mg Cholesterol, 338mg Sodium, 36g Total Carbohydrate, 3g Dietary Fiber, 7g Sugars, 32g Protein
Copyright © American Diabetes Association from Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking. Reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. To order this book, please call 1-800-232-6733 or order online at http://store.diabetes.org/.
NOTE: The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional or for professional medical advice related to diabetes or another medical condition. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your medical condition.
Sweet and Spicy BLT Chocolate Peppermint Kisses Coconut Banana Bread Apple Cartwheels Enlitened Tiramisu Trifles American Cheese Grits Crab Imperial Frozen Lemon Cake Orange Liqueur Souffles Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
10. I mostly just like the sauce and the cheese. Pizza crust just doesn't do it for me. Unless it's loaded with buttery soft goodness and crunchy outside. 9. It makes my bloodsugar high for days. 8. Nobody makes pizza like my grandmother used to and it's always kind of a disappointment. She made the best pizza. It was a perfect balance of sauce and cheese and toppings and the crust was insanely good. Every time I eat pizza I end up thinking "not like...