Have your cake
- Turn birthday cake into a parfait by putting a small, frosting-less piece into a dessert dish with some sugar-free pudding.
- Since the crust is the carb-laden part of pizza, take a few bites of the thin end of a slice, then use a fork and knife to eat the toppings off the rest.
- Make a chicken and cheese quesadilla using one white flour tortilla and one whole wheat or low-carb tortilla (check out La Tortilla Factory’s selection).
- Make pasta using half whole-wheat (or low-carb) pasta and half semolina (white) pasta. (Check boiling times; the white pasta will cook faster, so you can just add it a few minutes later.)
- At a sushi restaurant, order two pieces of sushi for a rice “fix” but make the rest of your meal sashimi (fish without the bed of rice). And don’t forget the miso soup!
- Have a pancake made with whole-grain mix and top it with trans-fat free margarine, a light dusting of confectioner’s sugar (or Splenda) and chopped fruit.
Reviewed by Francine Kaufman, MD. 4/08
Chicken a la King Chile-Cheese Cornbread Banana Yogurt Pancakes Creamy Ground Beef Turkey Joes on Kaiser Rolls Bacon-Cheddar Mushrooms Lemon-Garlic Chops Classic Cobb Salad Chicken and Mushroom Pizza Orange Jubilee
3 ring binder per class. Check! Loose leaf paper. Check! Colored pencils. Check! Sticky notes (various sizes). Check! 3 jumbo book covers. Check! Glue sticks. Check! Dry erase markers and eraser. Check! Packs of dividers (5). Check! Texas Instruments 30 IIS calculator. Check! Flash...