Are You Protein Deficient? (Continued)
How Much Protein Do I Need?
The protein recommendations for adults are 0.8 grams protein per kilogram of body weight. For a 150-pound woman, this equals 55 grams protein per day. For a 220-pounds man, this equals 80 grams protein per day.
A 3-ounce portion of meat (roughly the size of a deck of cards) contains about 21g of protein. A 4-ounce chicken breast or pork chop contains about 28 grams protein.
Here are the latest daily protein recommendations in ounce equivalents* from the USDA's My Plate guidelines (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/).
|Children||2-3 years old||2 ounce equivalents|
|4-8 years old||4 ounce equivalents|
|Girls||9-13 years old||5 ounce equivalents|
|14-18 years old||5 ounce equivalents|
|Boys||9-13 years old||5 ounce equivalents|
|14-18 years old||6 1/2 ounce equivalents|
|Women||19-30 years old||5 1/2 ounce equivalents|
|31-50 years old||5 ounce equivalents|
|51 and older||5 ounce equivalents|
|Men||19-30 years old||6 1/2 ounce equivalents|
|31-50 years old||6 ounce equivalents|
|51 and older||5 1/2 ounce equivalents|
* 1 ounce equivalent of protein includes:
- 1 ounce of meat, poultry, or fish
- 1/4 cup cooked beans
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of peanut or almond butter
- 2 ounces tofu
- 1/2 ounce of nuts or seeds (12 almonds, 24 pistachios, 7 walnut halves)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Nutrition for Everyone. http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html (Accessed October 6, 2011.)
- United States Department of Agriculture; Choose My Plate. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/proteinfoods.html (Accessed October 6, 2011.)
- United States Department of Agriculture; Food and Nutrition Center http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/ (Accessed October 6, 2011.)
Creamy Italian Dressing Steak with Balsamic, Soy, and Worcestershire Sauce Italian Tomato Jumble Chicken Tortellini Soup Chicken Drumsticks with Homemade Horseradish Sauce Chicken Breasts with Tomato-Gorgonzola Salsa Veggie Stir-Fry with Tofu Fruit Salad with Jicama Sofrito and Beef Green Bean Casserole
Playing off of a #DSMA conversation and Kerri, one of my favorite bloggers at www.sixuntilme.com, I've concocted a job description for diabetes. Wanted Immediately! Extraordinarily patient individual with high pain tolerance, ability to multitask as if their life depends upon it, must be able to keep a stable job with solid health insurance (outside of the work described herein), able to stay up late and get up early, and undeterred by constant shifts in...