dFriendly Sides: Healthy Holiday Eating (continued)
Healthy Holiday Eating & Cooking Tricks
- Add extra vegetables to stuffing (such as additional celery, onion and mushrooms) to lower the carbohydrates.
- Drizzle cooked sweet potatoes with reduced-calorie maple syrup instead of marshmallows, or prepare butternut squash as a lower-carbohydrate alternative. You can also sprinkle these dishes with brown sugar substitute or a blend of real and artificial.
- Make a fresh, no-added-sugar cranberry relish with cranberries and fresh oranges, or use a combination of sugar and sugar substitute to lower the carbs in your traditional recipe.
Here are three great tasting sides that easily fit into any diabetic meal plan that the whole family is sure to love.
1. Romaine and Orange Salad
To change number of servings, print, or email this recipe, go to its page in the dLife Recipe Finder by clicking here.
This light and sweet salad is the perfect complement to a heavy meal. Don't skip toasting the nuts, as it crisps them up and brings out their flavor.
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
8 cups chopped or torn romaine lettuce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Splenda Granular (or 4 packets)
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Spread the almonds onto ungreased baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Shake sheet to toss nuts and bake 2 to 3 minutes longer until nuts darken in color. Set aside to cool.
3. Cut the orange sections in half and place in large bowl. Add the romaine and toss.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
5. Just prior to serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly. Sprinkle the almonds on top.
Calories 110; Fat 8 grams (0 saturated);
Carbohydrate 7 grams; Fiber 2 grams;
Protein 2 grams; Sodium 45 milligrams.
Diabetic exchange = 1 Vegetable, 2 Fat
WW point comparison = 2 points
Chicken Stew Cauliflower Latkes Low Carb, Low Fat Charayonnaise Apple Sunrise Coleslaw and Pickle Relish Chicken Gumbo 2 Seared Onions and Peppers Italian Tortellini Soup Spicy Chile Pork Mexican-Style Chicken Soup
I knew I had to be up early to teach and get a run in. I knew it. My body knew it, my brain knew it. I had turned in a bit earlier on Saturday night to be up and at em. In the dream, I was at an airport, with some colleagues and a friend. All of the computers kept going down. Something in me was saying "well, if the computers are down, no planes are going out" while something else screamed, "we've got to get our tickets and get on this plane - we can't miss it!" Airport...