dFriendly Sides: Healthy Holiday Eating (continued)
Healthy Holiday Eating & Cooking Tricks
- Add extra vegetables to stuffing (such as additional celery, onion and mushrooms) to lower the carbohydrates.
- Drizzle cooked sweet potatoes with reduced-calorie maple syrup instead of marshmallows, or prepare butternut squash as a lower-carbohydrate alternative. You can also sprinkle these dishes with brown sugar substitute or a blend of real and artificial.
- Make a fresh, no-added-sugar cranberry relish with cranberries and fresh oranges, or use a combination of sugar and sugar substitute to lower the carbs in your traditional recipe.
Here are three great tasting sides that easily fit into any diabetic meal plan that the whole family is sure to love.
1. Romaine and Orange Salad
To change number of servings, print, or email this recipe, go to its page in the dLife Recipe Finder by clicking here.
This light and sweet salad is the perfect complement to a heavy meal. Don’t skip toasting the nuts, as it crisps them up and brings out their flavor.
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
8 cups chopped or torn romaine lettuce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Splenda Granular (or 4 packets)
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Spread the almonds onto ungreased baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Shake sheet to toss nuts and bake 2 to 3 minutes longer until nuts darken in color. Set aside to cool.
3. Cut the orange sections in half and place in large bowl. Add the romaine and toss.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
5. Just prior to serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly. Sprinkle the almonds on top.
Calories 110; Fat 8 grams (0 saturated);
Carbohydrate 7 grams; Fiber 2 grams;
Protein 2 grams; Sodium 45 milligrams.
Diabetic exchange = 1 Vegetable, 2 Fat
WW point comparison = 2 points
Granola Bars with the Works Country-Fried Steak Cheese and Basil Scones (Dairy) Peaches, Honey, and Almond Cream Smoked Salmon and Egg Wraps Tarragon Green Beans Pan Seared Filet Mignon Pina Colada Punch Spinach with Chili Oil Watermelon Lemonade