Gluten-Free, Carb Friendly Menus & Snacks
Eating gluten-free for celiac disease and low-carb for diabetes can be challenging to say the least. Here are some great ideas to make this devilish duo more manageable.
Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Menu Ideas
(30 grams of carbs or less per meal)
• Egg and spinach omelet, 1 slice ham, 1 cup strawberries
• 1/4 cup (dry) buckwheat cereal with 1 tablespoon walnuts
• ½ cup gluten-free vanilla yogurt, 1 cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
• 2 gluten-free waffles, 2 teaspoons sugar-free jelly, 1 slice ham
• Green salad made with chicken breast; ½ cup strawberries; 2 tablespoons toasted almonds, gluten-free salad dressing; 10 gluten-free crackers
• Gluten-free wrap (such as LaTortilla Factory™) made with turkey, cheddar cheese, and 2 tablespoons avocado; side salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, and gluten-free dressing
• Tuna or chicken salad made with mayonnaise (gluten-free); 10 Mary Gone Crackers (see next page); 1 small apple
• 1 cup homemade chicken tortilla soup; side salad with gluten-free dressing
• Turkey burger (with lettuce wrap instead of bun); 1 small baked sweet potato with 2 teaspoons trans-fat free margarine; 1 cup green beans with slivered almonds
• Pork tenderloin, 2/3 cup cooked quinoa, 1 cup roasted vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, peppers)
• Citrus Salmon, grilled asparagus, ½ cup brown rice with mushrooms
• 1½ cups turkey chili; large salad with romaine lettuce, veggies, and gluten-free dressing
One in Ten AMI Patients Have Unrecognized Incident Diabetes
Two New LDL Cholesterol Drugs May Have Big Impact on Heart Disease
COBA Conference Steers Forward in the Fight Against Childhood Obesity
Google Secures Patent for Glucose-Sensing Contact Lens
Medtronic to Use GlucoSitter Artificial Pancreas Software in Future Insulin Pumps - A Big Deal!
Mock Meatballs Mexican Style BLT Wrap Fruity Rum Yogurt Tempeh Satay with Curried Cashew Sauce Garlicky Spinach Teriyaki Duck and Lentil Salad Shrimp with Wasabi Mayo Grilled Beet Puree Chicken and Cranberry Salad Ham Pizza Snacks
This past weekend was a whole lot of diabetes weird. I've finally gotten into a good rhythm with my Lantus rate - settling in with a 70-30 nighttime-morning split of the total dose. My bolus dosing seems to be pretty much on the money too. I'm avoiding huge swings... Though lows are creeping up more often, I think because summer traditionally is a lower basal rate time, owing to warmer weather, increased activity and sweat, as we get closer to the warmer days I just need less insulin in the...