Decoding Your Lab Report (Continued)
Name That Test
Glucose test are generally used to diagnose all forms of diabetes. They are:
- FPG –The Fasting Plasma Glucose test is the primary indicator of diabetes, but it is also used to evaluate the effectiveness of medication or dietary therapy in those already diagnosed with diabetes.
- OGTT –The Oral Glucose Tolerance Test can diagnose prediabetes, diabetes, and gestational diabetes. Women not considered part of the high-risk group for developing gestational diabetes may first be given a screening test called the glucose challenge test or GCT. If a problem is identified in the GCT, the OGTT is then performed for further information.
- Random Plasma Glucose --This test is a screening test for diabetes when a patient has had food or drink and therefore can't do the FPG or OGTT.
- Insulin –this test helps evaluate insulin production; diagnose an insuloma (a tumor of the insulin-producing islet cells in the pancreas, causing low blood glucose levels); and helps determine the cause of hypoglycemia
- C-Peptide –also known as Insulin C-peptide, this test monitors insulin production by the beta cells in the pancreas and helps determine the cause of hypoglycemia
- TSH --thyroid disorders are common in people with diabetes, especially women, because one autoimmune disease (diabetes) often begets another (thyroid disorders). TSH screens and helps diagnose these disorders.
- T4 –When TSH is abnormal, a T4 test may be ordered to help evaluate thyroid gland function; help diagnose hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism; and screen for hypothyroidism in newborns.
Related tests: T3; Thyroid Antibodies
Scallops with Shallots and Coconut Cream Stuffed Mushrooms with Fresh Herbs Low Carb Chili Garlic Pea Soup Moroccan-Style Dip Vegetable Herb Dip Broiled Bluefish with Tomato Coulis Roasted Red Pepper Bread Apple Sunrise Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Awhile back, I wrote about trying out the Whole 30. After giving it a good solid go, I discovered that honestly, that eating style didn't work for me. Too restrictive for one thing. And my bloodsugars didn't seem to want to stabilize. I was low, all the time, and I found myself feeling pretty lousy energy wise three days in. Still wanting to make a commitment to healthier choices, I decided to start just plain eating clean. What does that mean? ...