Does Stress Make You Fat (Continued)
Stress...fat...an endless cycle? It may be a classic catch-22, but how do we put the kibosh on the whole thing? (continued)
The researchers then experimented with blocking these specific fat-cell receptors or removing this receptor's gene from the abdominal fat cells. When they did this, the stressed mice on high-fat, high-sugar diets did not become obese. In addition to not getting as fat, they also did not suffer the metabolic changes linked to stress and diet, including glucose intolerance (prediabetes, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, etc.) and fatty liver — an accumulation of fat in the liver that is often associated with obesity and diabetes. The lead author of the published report called the effect of breaking this chain of molecular events "remarkable."
While the researchers talked about the ways in which these findings can be used by pharmaceutical companies to create drugs that interfere with these receptors, thereby reducing fat cells, it might be wiser to simply put some extra time and energy into addressing our culture's stress epidemic. We're always on the lookout for that magic pill that will mean we don't have to do the heavy lifting — that is, we won't have to change our unhealthy ways. Change is hard, but change can be good.
What are the best ways to manage and relieve stress? You've no doubt seen countless articles on relaxation techniques, exercise, yoga, and the like. Stress relief is big business in our stressed-out country, so you can find books, videos, websites, gadgets, and services galore that claim to melt away stress and anxiety. But what really works? Scientists want the answer to that question and have begun to study in earnest methods for relieving stress.
- Apovian CM. 2010. The causes, prevalence, and treatment of obesity revisited in 2009: what have we learned so far? Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Jan;91(1):277S-279S.
- Bastard JP et al. 2006. Recent advances in the relationship between obesity, inflammation, and insulin resistance. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2006 Mar;17(1):4-12.
- Ford-Martin, Paula. 2004. The Everything Diabetes Book. F + W Publications.
- Green R and G Turner. 2010. Growing evidence for the influence of meditation on brain and behaviour. Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2010 Apr;20(2):306-11.
- Gustafson B. 2010. Adipose Tissue, Inflammation and Atherosclerosis. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2010 Feb 3.
- Hartfiel N et al. 2010. The effectiveness of yoga for the improvement of well-being and resilience to stress in the workplace. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2010 Apr 6.
- Kuo LE et al. 2008. Chronic stress, combined with a high-fat/high-sugar diet, shifts sympathetic signaling toward neuropeptide Y and leads to obesity and the metabolic syndrome. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008 Dec;1148:232-7.
- Mayo KR. 2009. Support from neurobiology for spiritual techniques for anxiety: a brief review. J Health Care Chaplain. 2009 Jan;16(1):53-7.
- Mujica-Parodi LR et al. 2009. Higher body fat percentage is associated with increased cortisol reactivity and impaired cognitive resilience in response to acute emotional stress. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009 Jan;33(1):157-65.
- Saeed SA et al. 2010. Exercise, yoga, and meditation for depressive and anxiety disorders. Am Fam Physician. 2010 Apr 15;81(8):981-6.
- Vicennati V et al. 2009. Stress-related development of obesity and cortisol in women. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009 Sep;17(9):1678-83.
Oat Snack Cakes Champagne and Orange Steamed Lobster Tails Cheesy Chicken Tacos Lemon Dill Pollock Eggplant Caviar Shells Agli Olio Baked Indian Rice Pudding Provencal Tomato Bread Salad Raspberry Marinated Tuna Steaks Braised Lettuce and Peas
As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of the benefits that made it cost-effective for me to go with the real healthcare (HSA) plan rather than the phony (HRA) plan is that my company is now covering "preventative" medicines at $0 copay. The formulary for these, as stated by CVS/Caremark (my pharmacy benefits provider), covers all test strips, lancets, and control solutions. I dutifully get my doctor to write up prescriptions for all of my testing needs, submit...